What should quotations cover?

Smith126

Yes, I know some employers dont mind.

But, no, there is no right for him to do his own work AND remain in employment, what I mean is the employer would have every right to instantly dismiss someone for this, no discussion, pack your bags. Same with any other industry.

Im sure many did start this way, telling the boss about it is not necessarily a good idea though.

I don't know if you are right there Rupe, you can tell them what to do while they are on the clock but not on their own time, if they present unfit for work you can take action but sacking them for a sporting injury is probably heading for a tribunal

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an odd post! Of course he can do his own work at the weekends, everyone started that way surely?

Not bad form at all, some employers I have known happily hire gear out to trusted blokes at the weekend.

Same here, if I ask nicely I'm leant the gear. I feel it shows appreciation for me giving 100%. It promotes a give and take relationship that's harmonious and benefits his business as no one moans about putting extra time in or helping out with things in their own time. It's by no means a formal type of management but it works for us. Mind you it's friends and family only, anyone asks for a card in the street and its his job naturally. The arrangement is based on mutual respect and we would never take the piss. It's by no means regular private work, but it seems a selfish attitude to take to prevent your guys earning a little on the side once in a while whilst maintaining their loyalty and commitment to promoting your business in the best way.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Quite, my old boss hired how his mog and chipper for a weekend once for £50. It wasn't even a job for family or friends.

I thinks he knew I wasn't the remotest bit interested in starting my eventual company in his area anyway.

I can see Rupes point tho really- if your on the books etc it'd show gratitude to point the work in the bosses direction.

If your self employed and trying to start up anyway- crack on! Just put down basic job spec on the quote plus your price- beware of stipulating too much information about the job it can lead to complications- just keep it basic:thumbup1:

Thats my view, better put!

Yes, I know some employers dont mind.

But, no, there is no right for him to do his own work AND remain in employment, what I mean is the employer would have every right to instantly dismiss someone for this, no discussion, pack your bags. Same with any other industry.

Im sure many did start this way, telling the boss about it is not necessarily a good idea though.

I cannot see how he would have the right to instantly dismiss a bloke for doing his friends and family's trees at the weekend, same for every industry? Can a mechanic not fix his family's cars?

I don't know if you are right there Rupe, you can tell them what to do while they are on the clock but not on their own time, if they present unfit for work you can take action but sacking them for a sporting injury is probably heading for a tribunal

I didnt mean sacking for sporting injury but some words for starters, persistantly being unfit "could" lead to "taking action" and possible future dismissal.

The working on the side thing is instant dismissal IF the employer choose to. Great way to get rid of someone who you dont want to employ for any other reasons.

I didnt meant to derail the thread like this, lots of opinions on this of course. Start a new thread if anyone wants to.

As for what should a quotation cover, I wouldn't go into too much detail. Just put the job spec and the price, remember to include every service you provide like tidying up, carting stuff away etc. then they know what they are buying and you know what you are being paid for. Simples!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I cannot see how he would have the right to instantly dismiss a bloke for doing his friends and family's trees at the weekend, same for every industry? Can a mechanic not fix his family's cars?

What people do in their own time is their problem, not their employers. The only people that should know is hmrc.

Nevertheless, it is pretty standard for employment contracts to have a clause where extra paid work must be declared and written permission sought. For example a countryside ranger doing the odd tree work on the side. Where that work is in direct competition, such as in the arb industry, there are obvious issues, which should be dealt through adequate contracting terms and conditions. Summarily sacking people just because isn't a solution and would probably blow back in your face. Common sense, ethics and mutual respect should prevail.