Pruning a silver birch

zara

My first post:

I have just moved and we have a very tall and well developed Silver Birch.

It does take up alot of space and because of its situation it cuts out the sun late afternoon

If it was 3m shorter there wouldn't be the sun problem. The tree is also close to the neighbours and would need some attention anyway.

I was told that the tree shouldnt be touched in any way. Is this true? What are my options?

Thanks in advance

I would certainly not say "don't touch it" but be cautious. Birch has a low tolerance for pruning and as such will begin to rot at pruning sites especially if its not carried out by a professional. To be honest if the tree is going to pose a problem in the future then you could think about felling it and choosing a suitable replacement?

I looked this up as I need to do a bit of work on one I have - I hasten to add tree surgery isn't my profession!

It was recommended to prune in late summer/Autumn as these trees bleed a lot and that is the best time to cause least damage to them.

Please correct if I am talking rowlocks:blushing::lol:

I would certainly not say "don't touch it" but be cautious. Birch has a low tolerance for pruning and as such will begin to rot at pruning sites especially if its not carried out by a professional. To be honest if the tree is going to pose a problem in the future then you could think about felling it and choosing a suitable replacement?

:congrats::congrats::congrats:

Thanks for the replies.

I was told that cutting the top off would not be good for the tree and it would look wierd.

Also that pruning it could turn it into an ugly lamppost

This is true, depending on who prunes it to whether it would look weird.

Cutting the tops off trees is generally not a good thing but trees can be effectively reduced by people who know what they are doing.

Thanks for the replies.

I was told that cutting the top off would not be good for the tree and it would look wierd.

Also that pruning it could turn it into an ugly lamppost

Heres a leggy Silver Birch I took about 3m out of about 6 months ago.

20130617_083406.jpg.2615d2b058654f1466d2eb1b1df3e9fe.jpg

Edited by Steve Bullman

I looked this up as I need to do a bit of work on one I have - I hasten to add tree surgery isn't my profession!

It was recommended to prune in late summer/Autumn as these trees bleed a lot and that is the best time to cause least damage to them.

Please correct if I am talking rowlocks:blushing::lol:

Steve i would do now untill late summer not autumn , ill do it for you one sat morning and give you a crash course on pruning If you want.