Best way to judge weight of what we lower

treemanG

Hi all, been on arb for a while but never posted anything, was just wondering if anyone had any tips for judging the weight of what we cut off? Been lowering for over 2 yrs now and I have always went with the thought 1 metre cubed of water is a ton, wood floats so must be lighter always go on the safe side and avoid shock loading at all costs But is there anywhere u can see what size a 500kg of natives trees we work with is, I know it isn't easy as all trees come in different shapes sizes and weights but is there any rough guide like conifer, ash, sycamore then oak all wet and at their worst weight just so u can get a better idea?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, been on arb for a while but never posted anything, was just wondering if anyone had any tips for judging the weight of what we cut off? Been lowering for over 2 yrs now and I have always went with the thought 1 metre cubed of water is a ton, wood floats so must be lighter always go on the safe side and avoid shock loading at all costs But is there anywhere u can see what size a 500kg of natives trees we work with is, I know it isn't easy as all trees come in different shapes sizes and weights but is there any rough guide like conifer, ash, sycamore then oak all wet and at their worst weight just so u can get a better idea?

In a word NO, this is where your experience and common sense comes in.

:001_smile:

Depends on time of year and species of pine !!

This I think is why climbers need to of been a groundy for atleast a year before they are let loose in a tree , it really gives you an insight in to wood weights.

True .....

There are log charts available, though they only give weight for standard timber, no accounting for leaf/branchwork.

Most of the ones I've found have been oriented towards US timbers/species. Saying that, I did find a good UK one, shortly before losing it, never to be found again!

As has been said, experience and common sense play a large part in assessing what to cut and what not to.

There are log charts available, though they only give weight for standard timber, no accounting for leaf/branchwork.

Most of the ones I've found have been oriented towards US timbers/species. Saying that, I did find a good UK one, shortly before losing it, never to be found again!

As has been said, experience and common sense play a large part in assessing what to cut and what not to.

Cheers for the replys, I have worked as a grounds man for 3 yrs before climbing and know the difference in what tree's are lighter than others I suppose what id like is to use the log chart mentioned above cut a lump off each different type of tree on it and see it in front of me and know it's exact weight, cos I know that all the people in the industry I've asked in the past look and say "I'd say that branch to that branch is about half a

Ton" I know it's a guess ok an educated guess, but still a guess, unfortunately it'll take time and be done as the trees come my way! Just hope I can find the uk one chart :)

Just hope I can find the uk one chart :)

PM me with your email address.

I'll point out though that it is worth doing Aerial Tree Rigging (CS41) to understand how the weight of timber is seen by different rigging components in different scenarios.

It shocked me!