4x4 vans

dave888

Assuming you mean panel van (so not just unglazed 4x4s) then I know exactly how you keep coming back to the Delica. I recently did the same search and ended up at the same place. However, I couldn't find a manual that I wanted so went with a Land Rover Discovery instead. That was **** so changed to a Ford Transit. I'm annoyed to not have 4wd or any offroad capability but I currently need the space more than I need to go offroad. Snow is going to hack me off next winter - I've always taken pride in being able to get around whatever the weather.

Kangoo etc, yeah all 4 wheels can have power going to them but they're not very offroady. Ground clearance and diffs both lacking.

There was a heavily modified Mercedes Sprinter on here a few weeks ago and I believe Iveco are doing more offroad dedicated stuff.

I don't know what you need it for but an option could be a £500 small Jap jeep (Vitaras are great) and a £2000 van. Cover the extra tax and insurance with the change. If you're happy with automatic and a vehicle of that age (L400s are all glazed so you'd realistically be looking at L300 if you wanted a panel van), Delica is pretty much the only option.

Got more money? Next stop, Pinzgauer!

Withams have a 4*4 turbo Daily Iveco cherry picker.

Could one flog the cherry picker off the chassis and rebody to ones requirments.

I would have thought VW with the T3/T4/T5 range of transporters would also be worth a look.

Syncros were not uncommon.

Consider importing a LHD vehicle from the Continent too.

Loads more 4by varients on the Continent.

I have a swb delica which is our holiday bus as well as multi purpose shifter/hauler. We get almost 23mpg cruising gently on the motorway. Haven't dared to work out the around town and short trip consumption. Have BFG Longtrail tyres on it which are terrific in snow. Payload isn't great . It may look tall and narrow but feels fine, even with kayaks on top in a crosswind. The interior is so versatile and durable. If someone stole mine tonight I'd buy another before breakfast.