tuning/modifying an ms 390

william127

Iv had my ms 390 for about 7 years and its done a medium amount of work and is still in great condition but I now mainly use my291 so id like to give tune up and maybe modify it a bit but still leave it useanble for day to day logging etc.

Where would you recommend I start and where I could buy any uprate d parts I might need? Thanks, William.

Iv had my ms 390 for about 7 years and its done a medium amount of work and is still in great condition but I now mainly use my291 so id like to give tune up and maybe modify it a bit but still leave it useanble for day to day logging etc.

Where would you recommend I start and where I could buy any uprate d parts I might need? Thanks, William.

The best place to start is to pm Spud . He will tell you what they respond to and if its worth it . Not sure if I should mention the " P " word but he is your man .

Yes, it is a clam type engine and they are not the easiest saws to work on. Personally I would just do a muffler mod as others have suggested and see how much that gives you.

You won't be able to lower the squish and actually getting to the cylinder is not a job for the inexperienced...no disrespect to you!

Ok I'll just have a go at the muffler then, is there a particular model of stihl that would be good for an inexperienced tinkerer to have a go at? I fancy getting a spares or repairs project of some sort. Thanks, William.

You will find the 026 a fair bit easier and lots of spares about! Not done too many Stihls apart from MS200Ts. I like doing Huskys down to the design leaving a lot of margin to improve!

Yeah 026 I s the easiest. Most other exhausts are a pinched seal around them. That needs to be prized open, this is a pita and guaranteed you will destroy most of the edge doing it.

The stihls don't leave a lot for porting.