New Hedge Cutter

LumberJake

Right guys I need a bit of help. I am in need of a new hedge cutter as the old Partner one that I have is extremely temperamental with starting.

I have a Ryobi long reach which can be used with three different attachments, now that is all well and good but when it comes to using the hedge cutter attachment it gets really awkward due to it's length.

I was looking at getting a hedge cutter from the Stihl range but with their new policy I am unsure about this now. What I'd like to know is what hedge cutters would you recommend that are good value for money, not too expensive and are all together a good machine?

Cheers,

Jake

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stihl hedge cutter we have is very sturdy and reliable, well balanced etc if using all day, and our Husquavarna long reach is good too, although had some problems with nuts coming loose on the cutter bars last year. both give a professional finish and get heavy usage!

Another echo vote. Glad it's not the default stihl/husq response as usual :001_rolleyes:

:thumbup:

Makes a plesant change, but just wait they will be along later:001_rolleyes:

But personally I use Stihl but not for much longer:thumbdown:

I have 2x stihl and a pole h/ cutter at the moment but with the new b... sh.. policy I will be looking at other brands, not because I have thrown my teddy out just because if I have to go to a dealer I may as well try other commercial brands, they are just as good but we get brain washed into thinking there is only stihl and that's the best.

Echo seem to be the best trimmer, but getting some of the parts can be troublesome.

I sacrificed the slightly better cut the echo offers for the next day any part service that my stihl dealer offers. He is only a 15 min ride away too!

Up to you if you can have your hedge trimmer out of action for long periods of time but need the very best then get echo

If however you need a very reliable after sale parts service with a very close second rate cut then go stihl.

I have an eye for hedging and I could not tell you which cut was echo and which as stihl cut. Just keep them sharp regardless.

It's not just the quality of the cut that's important. Amongst other things, vibes are a killer of many brands, Echo seemed to mastered the worst of this, and I think it's a really important factor when choosing a machine. I have used several models and makes, and honestly think the Echo comes out above the rest for many factors. Gets my vote, and I do own two Echo models, two Stihl and Fuji robin and Tanaka at present.