I'm dreaming of... A big machine that will...

TimberCutterDartmoor

A smaller tractor based mulcher will be ideal, will need quite a few pass's to get it really fine but you'll get away without a 360. It will also destroy any stumps left in situ which maybe another bonus to your client :)

mulchers are awesome, get as big a one as possible, but make sure the operator knows his stuff:001_smile:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The machine you are looking for is called a "flail Mower" i think- its like a beefed up flail hedgetrimmer, but mounted on the three point linkage, front or rear.:001_smile:

That's called a scrub master and probably won't give the man the finish he requires. The also shear bolts very easily if they hit a stump.

The machine in the video would be ideal since some of the ground is quite steep and access to the area narrow; I'd have to have Farmer Barleymows' permission for anything bigger and come thru his field. It's an interesting project where all the 'rubbish' has been cleared and a completely wiped slate is required before a replant with some interesting species; Princeton Elm for one...

Machine would have to handle stumps - there's plenty! In the course of clearing the area we've found, bicycles, a 1920s typewriter, a mangle, a washing machine, about 50m of 1/2" steel rope, an unexploded warhead from WW2 (yep - had to call the Navy Bomb Disposal!), various items of old fashioned hand tools - sickles etc, various wheels, tubes of polyfilla, a Co-Op stamp book, frying pans etc etc!

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

[Machine would have to handle stumps - there's plenty! In the course of clearing the area we've found, bicycles, a 1920s typewriter, a mangle, a washing machine, about 50m of 1/2" steel rope, an unexploded warhead from WW2 (yep - had to call the Navy Bomb Disposal!), various items of old fashioned hand tools - sickles etc, various wheels, tubes of polyfilla, a Co-Op stamp book, frying pans etc etc!

So have a car boot first, then clear it! Good luck whatever.

it might be worth speaking to greenmech because they make and rent out a machine that sound perfect for the job, its called a multi task, and this is what there website says - A self propelled, SAFE Trak style unit, fitted with a full cab and the ability to power a 1.5 metre mulching head, capable of handling 100mm diameter standing timber.

The Multi Task is built on the similar concept to a large skid steer loader. The 120 h.p Deutz engine in mounted to the rear of the unit; this powers two powerful hydraulic pumps, one that is designated to drive the steel tracks and the other to power the implement. The SAFE trak stabiliser legs have 600 mm of travel on each side allowing the chassis to remain level on a 30° slope. In addition to this the operator can remain level on angles beyond 35° by electrically swivelling the seat 20° either way.

hope this helps.

i'm always cautious round our mulchers. i was getting a bit complacent oneday when a log about 4 meters long and 12" diameter was chucked under it and out the back past me (i was about 30ft behind it).

Jamie