Have to renew all NPTC units every 5 years

lloyd g

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

an old adage springs to mind on this debate, "those that can, do. those that cant, teach". how many "assessors"are still activly employed in the arb business cutting timber?

Well the one I use is, my friend is trying to book a course, unfortunately, the instructor/owner has buggered off to Scotland to go do some forestry contracts

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

an old adage springs to mind on this debate, "those that can, do. those that cant, teach". how many "assessors"are still activly employed in the arb business cutting timber?

Assessors dont Teach ,, well not until very Very recently anyway ,,,

instructor teach, assessors assess

& I still cut , just not daily anymore

I did my climbing & aerial chainsaw tech eval & passed with 95% of 100% the pass mark is set well below that level I think nearer 70%

Hi Iain, hope you're well.

The areas of 'refresher/update' training and competence I concentrate on emphasising the importance of are climbing, aerial rescue and rigging as there have been significant advances / 'changes' in the last few years....and first aid of course. I think this makes sense and justifies the expenditure incurred (easy for me to say I know but it should also be viewed as an investment / CPD etc.)

Regarding ground based chainsaw skills, we often see only CS31 (as was, and often 10 years or more ago) and hence require a refresher / update / up-skill to CS32/33 (as was, now combined and "felling trees more than 380mm dia.") within 2 yrs. under the ArbAC Scheme.

I hope the industry, both the tree surgery and the training / assessment sectors, consider this 'reasonable' as HSE appear to.

Cheers..

Paul

HI Paul , perhaps what we need to RE think the approach

I can see the , bug bear of a lot of these guys as their perception of being forced to re do basic stuff effectively being told to suck eggs on basic stuff

What we need as an industry is entry level which happens in the training environment but then to recognise advancement above tuition in application,

Qualified Assessors could be trusted to go & observe these guys [as a team ] perform their days work ,

which is afterall is the workplace , which is what HSE are concerned about is it not

not in a training environment with false perameters working on trees that are lucky to have and epidermis left, as they are climbed so frequently by students... boring

So these multi unit qualified assessors , observe the team and or the individuals & assess the teams operation . to the standards required ,

in support of other learning the individual could if required [as with Ipaf ] fill in a log book or keep a CPD of work done / or literature read , subscriptions too or tutorials attended.

the issue - barrier is it costs money to attend what is perceived as stuff they already know , whilst also losing money , when not at work ,

I seriously doubt that anyone here would have issue with having a reduced insurance premium on their Public liability as a direct result of the team being observed by a suitable qualified assessor who says the operation is done within the units and are therefore undertaken safely as recognised by HSE

Iain

Edited by Yorkshireman