Interesting Biomechanics

David Humphries

Copper that has a totaly girdled branch (which looks pretty historic) still completely functioning.

Is the ability to survive, for a time at least, related to the diffuse porous nature of the wood structure?

Is the ability to survive, for a time at least, related to the diffuse porous nature of the wood structure?

I would assume as we are witnessing prolonged survival, that this has a significance Jane.

Though I think i would expect ring porous species (Oak etc...) to contain higher reserves of sugars & starch, enabling this kind of survival stratergy more than diffuse.

This particular branch 'looks' like it's been like this for a long while. :confused1:

I would assume as we are witnessing prolonged survival, that this has a significance Jane.

Though I think i would expect ring porous species (Oak etc...) to contain higher reserves of sugars & starch, enabling this kind of survival stratergy more than diffuse.

This particular branch 'looks' like it's been like this for a long while. :confused1:

My woolly thinking on this is that the presense of active xylem vessels through several seasons growth rings allows for water transportation even though the active cambium layer has been removed. Hmmm.

NB Fagus spp. are diffuse porous http://www.forestry.uga.edu/outreach/pubs/pdf/FOR99-018.pdf.

I think Janey is quite right, the loss (obstruction) of photosythates moved past this girdling is not going to be a major issue for the root system since there appears to be ample vascular connectivity elsewhere. The xylem function should not be hugely impacted (based on the pics).

Long term (not sure really what time frame I am alluding to myself here!) I would expect that the non-occluded injury may present a structural issue for the branch.

This is an inherent weakness & will fail at some point.

The area is off the beaten track & doesn't pose a significant threat to targets.

(bench near canopy, desire line path etc....)

Will consider a light reduction over the canopy at some point, more due to the decay/dysfunction at the graft.

I suspect that the branch in question is possibly grafted/multigrafted to smaller neighbouring branches further up out of sight, which may also have something to do with conectivity.

May go back & have a closer look.

went back to big wood again tonight and found something weird on the tree with the adventitious root in the central decay cavity.

as anyone heard of two species growing together?:confused1:

sycamore growing on a beech?:biggrin:

DSC02415.jpg.e7c1b0e6d80d0c41d9188517491cddb9.jpg

DSC02413.jpg.72f9aa94c4f9ea3492df1e1c24b139d3.jpg

DSC02405.jpg.d8c96e7bd320ae6fee60aca67b86cc75.jpg

DSC02400.jpg.585aa8676d36478c7da7f624e2151775.jpg

DSC02361.jpg.323951df45d63e9e1f44d062a211bd77.jpg