New to the arb world and need a saw

Jevs21

I have a 372 ( spud ported ) and a 346 ( also spud ported ) . The 346 is the forerunner to the 550 . . Also , amongst a lot of others I have a 560 . I am over the moon with my 560 ( petemate ported ) but some people have had problems . I think that the 550 and 372 would be a very good mix . If you choose them spud can do a superb job of porting the 372 !

That's right tell a new user to get his saw ported. Should be a nice thread to start after called "my new saw bit me" :001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's right tell a new user to get his saw ported. Should be a nice thread to start after called "my new saw bit me" :001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes:

Why should a ported saw " bite some one " just coz its ported ? A ported saw is more efficient than a non ported one not more dangerous .

Why should a ported saw " bite some one " just coz its ported ? A ported saw is more efficient than a non ported one not more dangerous .

Urm. Just to point out first. I think your post was not very well thought out, he is a new user, so with this in mind I'm thinking he is not familiar with a chainsaw in the pro world. Therefore he is not used to a saw, when felling trees it could be very easy to cut too far with a faster saw. This could result in a dangerous situation. If he was a pro user I would have no issue with this but he is not he is new.

Yes it may be more efficient, if you are used to a saw.

Sorry but I'm standing my ground, he is new, your post over getting a saw ported was idiotic IMO. :thumbdown:

I wounder if you would have said this to a homeowner aswell....

Urm. Just to point out first. I think your post was not very well thought out, he is a new user, so with this in mind I'm thinking he is not familiar with a chainsaw in the pro world. Therefore he is not used to a saw, when felling trees it could be very easy to cut too far with a faster saw. This could result in a dangerous situation. If he was a pro user I would have no issue with this but he is not he is new.

Sorry but I'm standing my ground, he is new, your post over getting a saw ported was idiotic IMO. :thumbdown:

If he is a new user then he wont know how slow a non ported saw is so wont have a reference point . Yea I go round knocking on people doors and tell them that if they ever might consider getting a saw get it ported first . Thanks for your opinion on me being idiotic I will think again before I open my mouth . Sorry if I have upset you .

Edited by Stubby

We're recommending pro saws, he has been recommended a 560, which is bloody fast anyway, so cutting too far too quick is easily done anyway, ported just means it will have more power

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

We're recommending pro saws, he has been recommended a 560, which is bloody fast anyway, so cutting too far too quick is easily done anyway, ported just means it will have more power

Yea I know that but you guys are making it sound like a 22 air rifle against an AK47 !

Yea I know that but you guys are making it sound like a 22 air rifle against an AK47 !

I'm trying to defend your point! I'm saying what ever saw, he could still do it wrong, ported or not! And who can say they've never made a mistake?

I'm trying to defend your point! I'm saying what ever saw, he could still do it wrong, ported or not! And who can say they've never made a mistake?

Not me . I have made mistakes along the way . It seems this was one of them ! Sorry .

Not me . I have made mistakes along the way . It seems this was one of them ! Sorry .

I was just trying to make a point that suggesting to a new user to get a saw ported without them using for a while first was not the best of ideas. If hey decide the saw could do with a bit of tweaking then fine that's down to them.

Spud does a good job at what he does, so does pete. And I'm sure they would also suggest that a new user would need to get used to his saw before making any major changes to it. The husky naturally runs faster than a stihl but it lacks the power of a stihl.

Anyway slight derail. My fault. :blushing::001_tongue: