Learning to switch off

I used to never switch off i was either working, quoting, paperwork, accounts ordering equipment blar blar another reason why i went into business with another company 50% of the load gone. We are also doing it properly all work gear at the yard everything we do with few exceptions will be in work hours once its 5pm work is over. That includes oaperwork quotes the lot.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone else said, read a book.

I also play golf once a week in the summer months. Can totally forget about everything else in the world, when playing. Just come back from a 4 day golfing holiday, and never thought about work once.

Has any of got and hints to switching off from work. I've been lucky in one way that I've always been busy but the girlfriend is complaining now that its been too many 7 days a week and now it's light in evenings working those to.

On the evenings I do have off I end up writing up quotes and putting in applications.

Then if there's spare time just before bed I have to look on hear to see what's accruing.

I got away last weekend for a wedding and the whole time my brain is just thinking about next's weeks work and what to do when I'm back.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

http://Www.colwoodlandcare.co.uk

Books mate that's what you need, I find it really clears the mind. Even at lunch have a quick read calms me right down on a stressful day

Sent using My c

colwoodlandcare, have a read through the Stress thread, be aware of how stress sneaks up on you, learn to chill out...properly. You will end up either having an accident, losing your girlfriend, both, maybe neither, but you will never be happy...not really happy while your working these hours.

I left school at 16 and am now in my 20th year of being self employed, Ive done the long hours week in week out, I used to be proud of doing 100 hours a week aswell as always punching above my weight but Im paying for it now.

Worry has become my worst enermy and for the last few months I've been feeling ruff to the point now where I have had a heart monitor fitted for the last 24 hours to try and work out why I get chest pains and a random heart beats, and all at 36 :thumbdown: do the sums and work out wheather your health is worth the extra days wage.

Edited by Pat Ferrett

Good thread... no advice as I have had the same experience.. no answers just empathy... just weigh up whats important... structure your day define your targets, so when you have completed them you can switch off knowing you have acived your goal for the day,

Just ensure they are realistic... if you fail to achieve them on a regular basis then a adjustment is needed as you will make yourself ill and life miserable for you and your loved ones..

• 1 month later...
forget that new-age crap. A quiet walk is much better.

Taking stock - folks don't do it anymore. Major life events even - people just press on thinking it's the best thing to do. Nope it aint.

I went out for 2 days on the moor some while back - gave me quietness and space to deal with a decades worth of transition that I hadn't stopped to mull over.

Now I take an evening walk, minimum 1 hour, monday, weds, fri. On your own is important until you have the head space to listen to others.

This is meditation.

I left school at 16 and am now in my 20th year of being self employed, Ive done the long hours week in week out, I used to be proud of doing 100 hours a week aswell as always punching above my weight but Im paying for it now.

Worry has become my worst enermy and for the last few months I've been feeling ruff to the point now where I have had a heart monitor fitted for the last 24 hours to try and work out why I get chest pains and a random heart beats, and all at 36 :thumbdown: do the sums and work out wheather your health is worth the extra days wage.

Suffer from stress and still do . It led to anxiety and heart palpitations . To many hrs at work . Feel better now but still have off days . What really helped me was learning to say no to customers . You know the ones that want everything done yesterday . Stop trying to fit more jobs into an already full on week :thumbup: Really considering becoming a Vegan not for animal welfare reasons just better health .