waste engine oil on chain

The Worker

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next time you cut some logs, smell them....

Unmistakeable smell of petrochemical even with pine. Thats the chain oil on the wood.

Do you really want used engine oil to finish up in someones living room.

Similarly, would you dump a can of used oil in the forest if you are working there. Thats why they like bio oil. Simples.

You should be specifying rapeseed where possible. All the supermarkets typically label it "vegetable oil" and the ingredients will say "100% rapeseed oil". Rape has the highest lubricity of the veg oils (castor excepted) and is roughly £1 - 1.20/litre. Lack of anti-fling additive can be an issue on 25"+ bars or poor oilers. Turn your oiler up to max!

yes I totaly agree with the rape being the best lube oil there

I guess if running WMO on its own i could always turn it up

But having read all of this thread the only down side as far as the saw goes is the crap from the WMO clogging things up and the viscocity of the oil

since my oil is all ready filtered this is not an issue

I had a thought; I have some lard that has come off some waste vetable oil

if I heat the lard up and mix with the WMO they might bond and hence I have a thicker oil

Is it right that rapeseed goes solid in the tank after a while? I'd like to use it but I'm not a professional user and my saws can go unused for a few weeks at a time...

Nope, I've used it down to -14C and its just as liquid as now at 18C.

It does not thicken at all.

Is it right that rapeseed goes solid in the tank after a while? I'd like to use it but I'm not a professional user and my saws can go unused for a few weeks at a time...

Yes it oxidises to a gum, I suggest always storing a saw for a period by running a tank of ordinary chain oil through. Over time a mould will also grow on bits of the saw where the veg oil has settled, just proving that it is biodegradable.

Yes it oxidises to a gum, I suggest always storing a saw for a period by running a tank of ordinary chain oil through. Over time a mould will also grow on bits of the saw where the veg oil has settled, just proving that it is biodegradable.

Rapeseed oil?

Not in my experience.

And "flushing" with "ordinary chain oil" could cause a few issues.

In my experience, (stihl mineral) chain oil reacts with rapeseed oil to form a rubbery gunk. Don't mix the two, ever!

I've just been to the shed to look at a saw ive not used since October (a stihl ms180, notorious for its fickle oiling system...).

Half full tank of fuel and oil, and the oil is liquid as a liquid thing, fired her up and it oils like it should.

The only thing is the bar and chain felt a bit sticky and stiff but a quick blip or two on the throttle freed them up nicely.

Why not just try it?

Just make sure to run the saw dry of oil, flush it with some petrol (I'd run it for a minute or so...) then empty of petrol and fill with rape, all sorted.

And when you spill any on the customers precious patio, you can just lick it off to clean it up.

Rapeseed oil?

Yes I only use osr

Not in my experience.

And "flushing" with "ordinary chain oil" could cause a few issues.

In my experience, (stihl mineral) chain oil reacts with rapeseed oil to form a rubbery gunk. Don't mix the two, ever!

I've not had a problem with this as I sometimes have to use mineral oil if out working with another gang, they either use Oregon or from a 205 litre drum. I haven't used Stihl oil although I always use Stihl 2t oil because the pink tint is more visible to me as a tell tale that it is petroil.

I've just been to the shed to look at a saw ive not used since October (a stihl ms180, notorious for its fickle oiling system...).

Half full tank of fuel and oil, and the oil is liquid as a liquid thing, fired her up and it oils like it should.

Again I have not had a problem with oilways or oil in the tank, indeed I had a half full bottle of Tescos osr which must have been 10 years old and that was still fine.

The only thing is the bar and chain felt a bit sticky and stiff but a quick blip or two on the throttle freed them up nicely.

Yes this is the same as my experience but I had left the saws for much longer and the chain and bar were well gummed up and needed dismantling to free them, it's hardly surprising because this is how linseed oil based paints "dry"

Why not just try it?

Exactly