Wanting to buy a tractor mount log splitter with large blade.

Woodworks

Just spent half the day talking to various dealers and now heavily leaning towards the Thor magic 16. Safety looks good and speed looks fine. Any good reasons against this machine? :thumbup:

Are M-Large the best people to go to for one?

Edited by Woodworks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard stories about "Thor" splitters "letting go" ie cracking key welds, when used commercially.

This may however be salesman's black propaganda.

I know the splitter I used to hire was a 13 tonne Thor and the roll pin or bolt arrangment holding the splitting head on was a weak point, I kept a supply handy and replaced umpteen times in a weekend's use.

I suspect it needed shimmed.

I do find the Krpan (Ex Marshalls) 17 tonne very good and fast, and one handed in operation, though only for owner operator as such.

cheers

Marcus

Just spent half the day talking to various dealers and now heavily leaning towards the Thor magic 16. Safety looks good and speed looks fine. Any good reasons against this machine? :thumbup:

Are M-Large the best people to go to for one?

I've owned a Thor Vertical in the past (20T) and work regularly with another (18T super magik) and can't fault them. Both of those were PTO ones and were/are very quick.

Dunno about whose best Thor dealer, but reckon Large's will be the ones who could get one to you quickest and cheapest.

So get some spare shear pins in and keep an eye on the welds. I gave the wrong size in last post and it is a 13 ton machine I am looking at.

Looking at second hand machine today but if no good probably order a Thor on Monday. Pictures following that.

Thanks for all the advise :thumbup: