Broadband packages

Stephen Blair

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just moved from BT a month ago. Taking into account each 'introductory offer' on the table and concentrating on how much it would cost for 12 months for line rental, unlimited broadband and inclusive calls ...

Talk Talk were the cheapest (approx £160 If I remember)

Plusnet were next at around £230

The best BT could offer even as I left was over £400

Reading up it seemed that the Talk Talk contract allowed them to restrict bandwidth at peak times (is that a problem?) but the biggie was customer service. I read it that if it worked it was a good service but if you had a problem then it was a nightmare. Too much of a risk for me so I went with Plus.net. Transition was fine and everything very straightforward with no problems at all. Found out after that BT owns plus.net but is running it at arms length (at present).

Hi

I recommend the following providers:

Zen

AAISP

IDNet

I have run an independent IT consultancy for about 15 years (not touting for business, no connection to any of them) & recommend to our UK clients. Before leaving for France, I used IDNet for about 3 years who were excellent.

Eclipse & Plusnet are also pretty good

I would avoid BT, AOL, Sky & any of the more commercial packages. I did manage to successfully connect a client to the much maligned talktalk (their idea not mine) at well over 5.5Km where BT & several others had failed, using the classic Netgear DG834 router slightly tweaked.

Make sure you use a decent router as the free ones can be problematic (I think those with the problematic AR7 chipset may have been fixed/upgraded now).

The quality of your connection also depends on how good your copper string is Samknows can help with this & provide information about services available at your exchange LLU DSL etc.

good luck in your search.

N

Virgin , with 2 TiVo boxes (tv), 30mb broadband (i downloads loads ;)), phone line free evening and weekend calls.

Free installation £30 per mth with the first 6mths half price.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Ian

Does that include any TV packages.

Our Virgin is sky sports and other standard TV. £72 per month. I'm sure the broadband is only 10mb and we don't have TiVo.

Ian

Does that include any TV packages.

Our Virgin is sky sports and other standard TV. £72 per month. I'm sure the broadband is only 10mb and we don't have TiVo.

M+ tv , I phoned up they put me in contact with the cancellation team and they gave me that deal. Only way to get a good deal tho, 60mb and top tv was £45

M+ tv , I phoned up they put me in contact with the cancellation team and they gave me that deal. Only way to get a good deal tho, 60mb and top tv was £45

Cheers- I'm out of contract and need to get a better deal. So far they've offered to double BB speed to 20mb but still £45pcm.

Go straight to the cancellation team , I know 3 people who have done the same as me and almost halved there costs. It was only about 6mths back they doubled everyone's speed from 10mb to 20mb for free anyway. :what: sneaky sods

Edited by Ian Leach