Going rate for freelance groundsman / climber

The way I see it I'm more employable as self employed, I'll sort my own tax and NI out, won't be entitled to any payed holidays and the employer has no commitment to me so when they are finished with me I'll move on.

I'm determined to get work, and I'm seeking unpaid work until such time as I've got my name out there.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always been self employed, it took a while to actually find reliable work a few months of just days here and there. I started at £75 but I was a head gardener at an Oxford college for 5 years with chainsaw tickets and my own saw, competent at pruning apple trees, hedgecutting etc and worked my balls off, sure learning to run the ropes rigging took a little time this job is not rocket science you either have the aptitude for it and learn fast or you will find it hard to get a foot in.

£75 I think is fair if your keen and intrested, after all the employer does not have to cover your kit, holiday, training contributions etc etc.

I tried employed this just lasted 7 months.

Cheers Marc, yeah I've got the aptitude and I always do well when I've got a keen interest in a subject.

Its always hard starting new somewhere, and harder when it's a new industry you are entering into, but having left the forces after 9 years service I'm sure I've got the personal attributes to get out there and succeed, and I can't wait to get my first job in

Cheers Marc, yeah I've got the aptitude and I always do well when I've got a keen interest in a subject.

Its always hard starting new somewhere, and harder when it's a new industry you are entering into, but having left the forces after 9 years service I'm sure I've got the personal attributes to get out there and succeed, and I can't wait to get my first job in

Well good luck to you, I wouldn't actively chase unpaid work but appreciate your keen to get a foot in.

It can be tough to start out, if you want to make this a rewarding career then positive mental attitude and have fun, to many already working for peanuts in this tough trade.

good luck finding work, dont do unpaid work tho,you still have to eat,pay rent/mortgage etc, send out some letters to local firms, when you see a gang working, give them a card/see the boss,you never know where it will lead

Good on you for finding some work. There isn't a boat load of work out there due to the weather so all work is good.

From the point of view of a small company owner that uses subbies here is what I see.

1. I prefer to hire in a climber and work the ground/manage the other staff/customer than climb myself and hire a groundie. That is my personal preference and some of that is because there are much better climbers out there than I am.

2. As it stands based on what you have said I see you as hired labour, not a groundie. Someone to drag brash, chip stuff, clean up, be the groundies/cutters bitch vs. someone to be the climbers man on the ground running the ropes, being his rescue climber or running a sub team on a big no climb job. It may sound harsh but like driving once you have the license (tickets) now you need to learn how the job site runs. There are loads of labourers available but only a few pro groundies.

As for wages, minimum wage for an 8 hour day is a few pence short of £50 (labourer). I can get basic climbers for £70 using my kit and climb anything climbers with arb vehicle, rigging gear, selection of saws and years of experience for £100+. At anything more than £70 I would expect you to work with a labourer without issue on say a no climb site clearance.

This is the grim north so southern wages are higher. There are also loads of small companies where I am all competing for the same jobs so day rates are no that high. I personally think all wages should be higher but firstly most customers see us as expensive gardeners so don't want to pay big for the job and secondly there are loads of people wanting odd day subbie work so as a company owner I have a choice of who I employ and when it comes to labourers cost is a massive factor.

Stick to your guns, you only need a few companies giving you regular work to be fully booked, do a good job (goes without saying). There is always something to do so don't be seen stood around doing nothing, that's the bosses job. Don't over sell yourself, a bad reputation will spread like wildfire and if you get hired as a groundie and can't run the ropes the boss and climber won't be impressed and people will soon find out you can't do what you say you can.

If anything does come in then I will give you a shout and a chance.

Kev

Cheers Kev, yeah it was just labouring I was doing, looking forward to learning more as the jobs become more varied as and when.

Your right, there's always something to do so no time for standing around, but I like earning my wage, and didn't wait around to be told to chip or drag anything.

Happy to have the work, hope it turns into something regular.