big companies V the little man

dougie44

I have only breif experiance working for a large company,it was a nightmare for all the reasons that have been listed.

With regard to the managers not having spent time on the tools and being out of touch with the workers,then I suppose the change needed would come from workers aspiring to and then gaining managment positions.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I left college I worked for a tiny company who trained me up as a climber and they treated me really well. I now work for a big company (just done my first week) and they treat me even better, although I think this company is a rare one.

I would always suggest that a college leaver goes for a small company who is willing to train as they will get more attention.

i'am looking for peoples opinion on working for big companies(iss, fountains,veolia,imrie:thumbdown:) or little private companies. i've got to say some of the bigger ones, especially at the moment when they can pick and choose who they take on, treat you very badly and why doesn't anyone invest in future workers by taking newbies. or maybe i'am wrong.

working for big companies is usually pretty coushy compared to running your own business. do your job and take your wage, i always started earlier, worked harder,never moaned and did every hour i could without question. when i got to the stage i felt i could do it better myself, i did.:001_smile:

my opinion on big companys soon changed.

i'am looking for peoples opinion on working for big companies(iss, fountains,veolia,imrie:thumbdown:) or little private companies. i've got to say some of the bigger ones, especially at the moment when they can pick and choose who they take on, treat you very badly and why doesn't anyone invest in future workers by taking newbies. or maybe i'am wrong.

i was taken from a newbie, when i was 15 for my school work experience for a smallish company, and now i am well looked after, and have heard that you do get treated real bad working for larger companies.

People who want to get in to this industry should be on an aprenticeship before a college evan looks at taking them in my view ,I think it would make them know what they are letting them selves in for as well as a good start in what common practices are,plus the experience...

I completely agree, i think that a lot of the lads on my course at college are gonna be in for a real surprise when they get into "the real world". they should at least do a few weeks work experience, as i think this would let them know what they are letting themselves in for.

I contract to a very large company, and I have found that some managers havent a clue about reality, people get treated badly, and there is no system in place for personable business.

Everything is beaurotic and wrapped up in red tape and H & S.

My opinion is ever changing, but from my point of view, at this very moment I am often treated like a puppet on a string.

The way things are at the moment, contracts coming in from other sources and other companies would be a blessing.

When I left college I worked for a tiny company who trained me up as a climber and they treated me really well. I now work for a big company (just done my first week) and they treat me even better, although I think this company is a rare one.

I would always suggest that a college leaver goes for a small company who is willing to train as they will get more attention.

thats excatly what i did the best way to go i reackon (thanks scudmonster) and now i work 4 a medium sized co. where everyone gets on and things run smoothly like having a good boss,also 4 the newbese gettin oppurtunitys to climb

The problem with larger companys can be that although they have nice trucks and chippers,the chippers though look shiney are badly treated and tend to be blunt usually none of the saws work properly or are constantly blunt the rigging gear is treated badly usually resulting in cut ropes and angry managers refusing to buy new stuff ...the red tape with beurocracy and bad comunication through managment....the plus side seems to be better training.

With smaller companys its a lot of dragging brush and hard to get experience climbing as every one tends to have there place and they no how to maximise it for profit(getting the job done) this could be frustrating but in my opinion a better way of learning by watching and the gear tends to be better looked after as every one knows who has used what and if some thing breaks its fixed or replaced quick.

i dont want to piss anyone off on here but im going to give my opinion and some may take it the wrong way,

i think working with big companies they dont really have much concern for safety and what the kits like all they are really interested in is making money winning contracts and managers driving nice big cars and what not plus most of the managers dont have hands on experience and the guys out doing the work get pissed of very quickly due to this fact.

the smaller companies have a much higher concern for quality and quantity if they do a crap job they wont get recommended they do a good job they do. as for kit the smaller companies are a few guys so anything that happens is dealt with there and then if poss rather than filling in a **** load of paper work and then it gets lost so what evers broken it sits on a shelf for a year or so. the managers in the smaller companies have experience on the job so they do know what they are talking about and chances are they own the buisness so what thy say goes.

i would say from what ive heard smaller companies are better to work for but harder to get into. you need to start from the bottom and work your way up, thats the bottom line.

i would like to point out that i know not all companies are like this but from hearsay and what not its the general impression i get.

i think that maybe the longest post ive posted on here since joining.