First climbing kit - any good?

Red.Squirrel

Hi guys, I was hoping you could give me some advice for my first climbing kit. I have nothing to start with so am buying the whole lot in one big bulk. I'm currently studying at Myerscough but got a couple of small jobs lined up for friend of friends so decided I might as well take the plunge and get everything I need.

This is the list that I've come up with from Honey Brothers:

Petzl Vertex Vent c/w Husq Attch

Petzl SEQUOIA Harness

Yale XTC-FIRE Rope 35m

3 x Edelrid HMS Triple Lock Karabiner

Adjustable Lanyard 3m (with the crab, pulley, cord, etc)

Marlow Boa 9mm Friction Cord 4m

Throw Bag with Throwline

Silky Zubat 300 Saw & Sheath

Webbed Cambium/Friction Saver Length: 1.3 Metre

Total inc VAT £524.57

Was hoping if anyone had any suggestions or recommendations on what to take away/swap or if what I've picked is likely to fall apart from experience. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Edit - Forgot to mention, if anyone from Honey Brothers is on here, student discount? Don't ask, don't get ;)

Edited by Red.Squirrel
Reason - Begging/Bartering

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't be to quick in buying gear or taking on private work at the moment, save your money unless you've got a good job prospect after college. most companies provide climbing gear and when you start climbing you'll get to know what you need, by the way was it someone from the company that was advising what to buy?

If you have the cash then buy it and get practising. When you get a job don't tell them you have your own kit or enter into an agreement where by they replace stuff as it wears but it belongs to you. If your keen and work hard there will be a job for you. You could always buy a 45m rope then cut it and make a lanyard and have a bit left over to use as a blakes hitch. Use the spare cash to buy some secateurs.

Cheers for the responses guys. I do have CS38 and chose all the kit myself and mostly by experience of having used it at college, just wanted to see if anyone could spot any obvious flaws that I may have missed in my naivety.

As Phenom said, I could just do with the practice and needed a good excuse to get the kit so thought I'd take on the job and use that as the push I needed. It's not a serious job in the slightest, more just a give it a go cause they want it coming down anyway. Money isn't too much of a problem, I'm pretty good when it comes to saving and management, just don't wanna buy something that a cheaper version I may have overlooked could do better.

How come you wanted to know if they'd advised me what to get dougie?

Cheers for the responses guys. I do have CS38 and chose all the kit myself and mostly by experience of having used it at college, just wanted to see if anyone could spot any obvious flaws that I may have missed in my naivety.

As Phenom said, I could just do with the practice and needed a good excuse to get the kit so thought I'd take on the job and use that as the push I needed. It's not a serious job in the slightest, more just a give it a go cause they want it coming down anyway. Money isn't too much of a problem, I'm pretty good when it comes to saving and management, just don't wanna buy something that a cheaper version I may have overlooked could do better.

How come you wanted to know if they'd advised me what to get dougie?

good for you mate, the first things i bought were harness,spikes,rope,strop and some carbs. oh and a handsaw. go find some woods and play. best of luck.:001_smile:

This may seem like a stupid question but have you tried the sequoia harness?

I havent any experience with it my self but I know what its like to buy a harness you havent tried before hand :thumbdown:

If you have and you like it then no worries it just sounded like you werent sure about it.