Wood chip or mulch

jjll

I have been talking to a local farmer where we dump a couple of loads of wood chip, he mentioned about doing something with it, ie mulch and bag up in dumpy bags and sell when ready, or I mentioned getting it taken for biomass.

Which is more suitable?

We produce a small amount of chip each week depending on jobs and at the moment get rid where ever we can and where ever is closest. Is it worth taking it to the same place to put in a clamp and then load it up when we have enough? How long can the chip sit for before biomass companies won't take it. I know that it has to be clean and of good grade.

Or would it be better to keep it and turn it into mulch and sell?

If so, how is a better mulch made, do you mix in anything else?

Cheers for any feedback

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Why doesn't the farmer use it as a compensation for your dumping it there. It's an ideal product to enhance the organic matter percentage over the years.

Using it/selling as biomass for energy is in my humble opinion a waste of a wonderful product.

Why doesn't the farmer use it as a compensation for your dumping it there. It's an ideal product to enhance the organic matter percentage over the years.

Using it/selling as biomass for energy is in my humble opinion a waste of a wonderful product.

agree, he could go organic and properly not as in the commercial interpretation!

Im mixing leylandi chip 50 50 with organic horse manure for the garden atm.

Amazing compost full of worms :001_smile:

Horse manure is is alot easier to source than chip so often short the of chip.

Combining them breaks down well just one or the other takes ages to break down.

I have used oak woodchip from the local sawmill as bedding in the lambing shed last few years, saves a fortune on straw as 6-8 inch layer lasts all winter and saves on foot problems with oak being natural anti bacterial, only downside is I have to put it in a seperate muck pile as it takes a long time to compost properly :thumbup1: