How to crash an industry

Pete Mctree

nailer

keeping records of all you do is cpd , and could count towards update training. keep records of what you do and with who is omportant at the end of the day the mesure of any training weather update or innisial training is what you do with it if you look at afag 805 it does give guidance on non lantra nptc training.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/afag805.pdf

kev

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RCO et al

thanks for the offer Macclesfeild a bit of a jaunt for me, but im not afraid to chip in on a days work.

dont expect the fitness of a 20 year old that does phisical work every day, how about i have a chat with a more local firm and we try and do some thing with them??

kev

mr ed i salute you, and if you can support the industry with free training great.

as for the quote 'those that can.....' when ever i hear that mentioned i usually quote

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena"

im the man in the arena hear, and what shames me the most is not the debate and opinion, the name calling and the barrackins the questioning of peoples stand point that is healthy and that is what this site thrives on but is the fact there are many other trainers on this site and also assessors, who dont stick there head above the parapit during chats like this to be counted.

ho humm

i think at this point ill exit this debate and let you know how i get on sorting a vidio

cheers all

dont forget shout at NPTC you have untill the 16th

kev

The question I ask is how will that PROOF be defined & it all comes back to law & the interpretation of law & who are the people that interpret law Qc's Judges & who do they seek advise from HSe & who do they support etc etc etc

your insurer may take your money But in the small print somewhere !

Ask Dean about insurance companys

I dont beleive that these events are probable for every operation but they are possible !! for Someone because ACCIDENTS have a way of happening

We should HAVE ACCREDITATION or CERTIFICATION if we want to be taken as serious PROFESSIONALS

YOU decide !

ME I'm having my tupence worth!

THATS WHY there is CONSULTATION

Hey what’s with the UPPER-CASE and red pen….is that supposed to have some kinda extra impact?

I’ve come across many Arborists who have more ticks in the accredit/certification boxes than do I, but the majority of them were pretenders or fairies who couldn’t make the grade under pressure….and that’s the Gods honest truth!

I had my accreditation boxes re-ticked about four and a half years ago now….managed to drag myself back down to the level of semi-conscious skill needed to meet the requirements, handed over my hard earned cash for the privilege, and don’t you know it’s nearly time that I’m supposed to repeat the process!

We should HAVE ACCREDITATION or CERTIFICATION if we want to be taken as serious PROFESSIONALS

I’ve never once had to prove any such certs or credits to be taken seriously in a work environment….I’m pretty sure I’m not alone either, so you ought not to assume you’re speaking for everyone in such context.

I can well appreciate that people have to make a living, but I’d personally stop short of taking money from my fellow workers in such a way as these refresher-course-exercises:thumbdown:

RCO et al

thanks for the offer Macclesfeild a bit of a jaunt for me, but im not afraid to chip in on a days work.

dont expect the fitness of a 20 year old that does phisical work every day, how about i have a chat with a more local firm and we try and do some thing with them??

kev

Kevin I believe your offer is genuine, but mine is non flexible I’m afraid….and I’m a good way past 20 also, but remain very much in the thick of the practical day-to-day challenges of the job and persons involved.

im the man in the arena hear, and what shames me the most is not the debate and opinion, the name calling and the barrackins the questioning of peoples stand point that is healthy and that is what this site thrives on but is the fact there are many other trainers on this site and also assessors, who dont stick there head above the parapit during chats like this to be counted.

:icon14:

I’ve come across many Arborists who have more ticks in the accredit/certification boxes than do I, but the majority of them were pretenders or fairies who couldn’t make the grade under pressure….and that’s the Gods honest truth.

I’ve never once had to prove any such certs or credits to be taken seriously in a work environment….I’m pretty sure I’m not alone either, so you ought not to assume you’re speaking for everyone in such context.

Spot on!! Reg.

In my experience, the statements above are fact.

I was working on a site a few weeks ago, there was an excavator driver who was the best I have ever seen, his machine was like an extension of his body. We got talking about HSE bollocks, and he said he did not have a cert has he was unable to pass some kind of screen based reaction test, does mean he is not a pro????? All I can say is he was on piece work he would out earn any driver I have ever seen.

Just recently, I've had the great pleasure of working alongside some great old fallers. One was due to retire 15years ago, and the youngster was 11years past retiring age. Both trained back in the old ways, 7lb felling axes and 2man crosscuts, before moving to chainsaws. Both are in good health, despite the fact they dont wear all the safety ppe, and I doubt they have any tickets, but somehow they are still out there doing the job. Whats more, they worked thru the 70's on the big elms, the 87 gales clearing some of the most dangerous tree situations you could imagine.

Now I am but a young pup in comparison, yet I cant help but think that perhaps the over-emphasis on the training these days is hampering the industry.

I've been on training courses (refresher) where "experienced" people have cocked their way thru, yet they are given a pass. It makes a mockery of the whole thing, and feeds the myth of "money for the boys". Until this issue is sorted, I think the whole idea will be treated with derision.

Just recently, I've had the great pleasure of working alongside some great old fallers. One was due to retire 15years ago, and the youngster was 11years past retiring age. Both trained back in the old ways, 7lb felling axes and 2man crosscuts, before moving to chainsaws. Both are in good health, despite the fact they dont wear all the safety ppe, and I doubt they have any tickets, but somehow they are still out there doing the job. Whats more, they worked thru the 70's on the big elms, the 87 gales clearing some of the most dangerous tree situations you could imagine.

Now I am but a young pup in comparison, yet I cant help but think that perhaps the over-emphasis on the training these days is hampering the industry.

I've been on training courses (refresher) where "experienced" people have cocked their way thru, yet they are given a pass. It makes a mockery of the whole thing, and feeds the myth of "money for the boys". Until this issue is sorted, I think the whole idea will be treated with derision.

I agree with Andy about the emphasis on training, but only because it's so weak, I mean no disrespect to any training providers when I say that. The NPTC training is pathetic, CS38/9 is a farce. Both are way too easy. Giving the impression that anyone who has passed is of any value to the industry is harmful in my opinion.

Maybe we could adopt a similar testing process as seen with the modern motorcycle license? A CBT which would be the CS39 and then a proper test of ones worth within two years, showing the ability to assimilate ones experiences in the field as opposed to the classroom and tiny oak tree. This would not be refresher every 5 years affair, more of a license to practice and then a a license to operate.

For every non ticketed pro grandfather out there, theres a non ticketed injured ex pro sitting at home, equally there are guys coming off the NPTC/College production line who are instinctive masters of the game already.

Refresher courses are based on a desire to keep the industry professional and safe. That's not a bad thing really (the desire that is) But it should be freely available and shed loads more consultation is required before such a thing is implemented.

There's too many of us about. A Cull is required.