Thoughts on saw running problem

Pastonian

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As others have said, you bought 78 quids worth of shite, 180 quid for a 044/440 form a dealer is good, bear in mind though, a sthil or husky will always sell for good money, even knackered ones, so you would of got your money back when you sell it, with the cheap stuff there worth nowt second hand so in reality you have lost 80 quid, and had hassle to go with it, buying the stihl from a dealer would have been more cost affective in the long run and would of got the job done for many years.

Thank you for your positive constructive help, hopefully one day I will be able to return the favour in some way :001_smile:

When a saw dies in the cut it is too lean, either from fuel pick up or carb adjustment being out.

Does this saw have a normal Walbro carb ? or a copy? nevertheless if you have low and high adjustment screws once you have started the saw and let it warm up get yourself a butt of wood and crosscut into it, now with a screw driver on the high jet try backing it off and or increasing the high jet until you feel the saw pull better thru the wood. A slight 4 stroke effect i.e below max revs should provide the best torque, a leaned saw cuts much slower although it screams louder.

If the idle is good next check the revs in all positions of the saw.

What fuel did you use with what oil mix ? have you checked the chain ? and finally when you were cutting and it stopped until you lifted the saw were you cutting either in compression or tension pinching the chain/bar.

There are many who remember that only 15 years ago there were many other chainsaw manufacturers who held significant market share and that the big two make some great saws and they too also make some not so great models along the way.

McCulloch today is regarded as much the same as your saw yet only back in the 50's 60's and until mid 70's were no1 pro saw Worldwide.

Finally have you gone back to Hutt imports they might help you as it's in their interest.

Thank you for your positive constructive help, hopefully one day I will be able to return the favour in some way :001_smile:

No probs, you asked for an opinion, you got one. when i buy some fishing gear i will ask your advice before i go and buy some cheap shite.:001_smile:

Buster, thanks for the response. I guess its some copy carb, it has a low speed, high speed and idle adjustment, fuel has been a 20:1 ratio as recommended in the manual for first 20 hours use, 25:1 thereafter. There was no tension on the cut as it was on a saw bench, everything would be going fine then the revs would drop right off sounded like fuel starvation to me. I didn't actually purchase the saw from Hutt imports but wouldn't hurt to drop them an email I guess. Will see what happens at the weekend after tinkering tomorrow :up:

No probs, you asked for an opinion, you got one. when i buy some fishing gear i will ask your advice before i go and buy some cheap shite.:001_smile:

If you were to ask I'd be happy to type something that you too could choose to ignore, hopefully you will also find that you get your requirements out of your tools for angling and catch the fish of your dreams :beerchug:

Well cheap or not it still should run no matter who made it .

People on this side of the pond poke fun at Poulans .Funny I have one I purchased in 1975 that has likely outlasted the heckers Stihls and Husqvarnas ,so I blast it right back at them .

Inexpensive saws have their place not everybody can afford to lay out a kings ransom just to trim a few bushes ya know . If however a person used a saw to make a living it would make good sense to purchase better equipment . Then again if you don't know how to work on the things it might be good advice to purchase a machine that has good dealer support .

Cheers for your support Al, it's probably something small and will hopefully be sorted out easily, besides is good to get a better understanding of it all if I'm able too, hence posting here. The usual slating the cheap product but that was expected but also some helpful suggestions, just like the angling forums :001_tongue:

If you were to ask I'd be happy to type something that you too could choose to ignore, hopefully you will also find that you get your requirements out of your tools for angling and catch the fish of your dreams :beerchug:

No probs, i have this nack of being able to ignore people on request. now about the fishing, how many sticks of dynamite in one go do you reccomend, got to be quicker that sittin there with a rod :001_tongue:

No probs, i have this nack of being able to ignore people on request. now about the fishing, how many sticks of dynamite in one go do you reccomend, got to be quicker that sittin there with a rod :001_tongue:

Hand grenades are more effective if it's a little slow, but then maybe it could be just using the wrong tools for the job as to why it's slow in the first place.. :smokin: