Quadchip running gear..

Ty Korrigan

Hello all,

Any-one out there any remarks on the axles and breaking mechanism?

We are experiencing poor tyre wear on both wheels, inside of the tyres has worn bald in 10months.

We have a small ding on one rim from traffic calming but surely this couldn't cause the axles to run out of alignment...?

Our dealer just shrugs and says it is this that has caused the mis-alignment.

We have owned various trailers now for 20years and have and NEVER seen this kind of wear before.

From new, when following the chipper we have often thought it looked 'pigeon toed'...

Any thoughts...?

I've always found road tow chippers eat tyres - they are generally built down to a weight and use a light-duty axle that subsequently runs near its maximum load limit. This in turn chews up tyres as the suspension units are working near their design limits. Also a lot of people don't get their brakes regularly adjusted, so the over-run bangs on the tow hitch destroying the damper and leads to trailer wheels locking up occasionally. The smack that caused the ding in the wheel could have also knocked the suspension out of line at the same time possibly.

Yes, I tend to agree with all of that.

But for the size of the ding...I can't see how that would knock the axles on each side out.

I guess a chipper is a trailer running at maximum load 100% of the time BUT it really should have a greater tolerance to cope with the stresses surely?

I've always found road tow chippers eat tyres - they are generally built down to a weight and use a light-duty axle that subsequently runs near its maximum load limit. This in turn chews up tyres as the suspension units are working near their design limits. Also a lot of people don't get their brakes regularly adjusted, so the over-run bangs on the tow hitch destroying the damper and leads to trailer wheels locking up occasionally. The smack that caused the ding in the wheel could have also knocked the suspension out of line at the same time possibly.

Tend to disagree, the cm220 will run as is, tyres do not wear uneven. Ok so it's running on the axle all the time at full weight. But the axle should be designed to take this weight plus extra.

I do agree with the brake issue. Replaced a ram before due to brake snot working and could hear the tyres skidding to a stop aswell.

A quick check you can make is to run your fingers from the outside to the inside of each tyre and back again.

If the tread feels 'sharp' going in then the wheels are toeing out, and if it is sharp coming out then they are toeing in.

The most likely reason for a tyre to wear excessively on one side or the other is missalignment causing the tyre to crab down the road, this distorts the tread profile making it bulge slightly due to side pressure so that wears more quickly than the rest of the tread, hence the bald area on one side.

There are other factors that can cause your problem but you need to make sure the tracking is right first. A tyre company with decent tracking gear would be your best bet.

Hope this helps.