DSLR Cameras

Taupotreeman

I use a Nikon d80, with a Sigma 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 EX APO OS Lens .

The Sigma is as good as the Nikon version and 2/3 of the price. Still not cheap though.

Had it for 3-4 years and no problems so far. Once you get a Nikon or Cannon, its then difficult to change camps due to the lens fit.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in the market for a new DSLR and am stuck between Nikon and Canon. I currently have the EOS1000D but want something with more clout. So who uses what and who recommends what?:001_smile:

Check out the Pentax range. 'Waterproof' models available at lower end of DSLR budget

The 7d is a great camera, but the lens is where you need to put your money.

Get a decent but not necessary great body and then buy some excellent lenses.

As to which make, remember that if you want to expand your lens range at anytime there are a lot more secondhand, high quality, Canon and Nikon lenses available.

The shot in my avatar was taken with an old Canon 30d but I did have a £4000 canon 500mm f4 lens hanging off the end at the time.

The 7d is a great camera, but the lens is where you need to put your money.

Get a decent but not necessary great body and then buy some excellent lenses.

As to which make, remember that if you want to expand your lens range at anytime there are a lot more secondhand, high quality, Canon and Nikon lenses available.

The shot in my avatar was taken with an old Canon 30d but I did have a £4000 canon 500mm f4 lens hanging off the end at the time.

Starting to narrow it down a little. Looking at possibly a refurbished 7d leaving more money for a couple of good lenses. I like the sound of that 500mm bob but I'm looking more for a wide angle for landscape and city scape shots.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Have you thought of a good second hand Leica by chance, optics are top notch. I like the range finder look. Fuji do an excellent pro looking range finder very similar to the red dot.

Steve, to be fair I don't know much about the rangefinder or the mirrorless. Happy to hear more.

I'm going to be using in anger soon, but just taking trial photos I'm very happy with the outcome. I bought the body separate and a f1.4 25mm Leica/Panasonic prime. I'll let you know when I've processed the results.

Re read your post and then went and had a bit of a look at the Mirrorless. Interested in how they compare to the DSLRs in picture quality etc.

In a previous life I was the manager of an independant camera shop, both brands are fantastic, and would say that nikon lenses have a slight edge for optical clarity, less pin cushioning, but the down side for me is the way the lenses auto focus- which makes them a bit slower for action shots and AI focusing. I use cannon and love them. If you can afford a L series lens you wont be sorry. A good start is the 17-40L f4 & either a 100-400 IS L or really fast glass is a 70-200L f2.8. Dont scrimp on a bag either, with good seals for dust. Lowpro was our best seller. Also good quality skylight filters to protect the objective lens, a Hoya pro type would be good- avoid jessops type ownbrand filters.