So, How did you get in to Arboriculture/Forestry

kmac

Hi All,

Out of curiosity - how did you get in to this job? Was it through a complete change of career, family ties, always had the passion, chance...?!

I'm planning a complete career change and have no experience in this field - so just curious to see how many were in a similar situation when you began. As I'm feeling a little nervous!

Hi All,

Out of curiosity - how did you get in to this job? Was it through a complete change of career, family ties, always had the passion, chance...?!

I'm planning a complete career change and have no experience in this field - so just curious to see how many were in a similar situation when you began. As I'm feeling a little nervous!

I was kinda born into it part of the family here cut wood the other part logged stateside so kinda I just followed on lol

It a good but hard life however when the saw chips get in ya blood you'll never wanna do anything else lol

I was introduced to it when I did an NCH at collage in the mid eighties - loved the climbing - then I worked for the Council doing trees in the winter and grass cutting in summer - soon discovered there was good money to be had too - I made it my hobby and my job full time in 1990

Hi All,

I made a career change around this time last year (previous 4 years spent working in adult social care).

I got sick of working indoors and the more I researched into Arboriculture the more I fell in love with it.

I've gained CS30, CS31 & CS38 among others in the time since and would never go back to another job.

Make the leap! If you're willing to work hard, learn and above all really want something I believe you'll make a success of yourself.

Daniel.

Hi All,

I started on a forestry course at Riseholme college in 97, some of the modules I was into got dropped 2 weeks in. I'd met some guys at the college who were on a 12 week arb course who were working in forestry & arb then spending a day a week to get their tickets there. They said come on the arb course it's a lot more fun than forestry, & better £££'s. So I jumped courses to the ND, as couldn't do the 12 weeker - as no experience.

& I never looked back!

Knew it just fitted for me.

If it's right for you & you work (HARD) at it, it'll work out.

All the best,

Conrad:thumbup:

edit; I'd previously trained as a mechanic/welder but soon found I preferred working outdoors. Skills always useful tho

Edited by Agent-Arb
missed a bit

I started out as a printer , got qualified but got fed up with factory life . A friends elderly Estate worker passes away , so I helped in the day , printed at night , got more and more work so went to night school an college , soon after took the leap and its worked out . Don't know your situation but if you can get some qualifications experience before you change jobs it should make it easier.hope it works out!

It a good but hard life however when the saw chips get in ya blood you'll never wanna do anything else lol

I'd agree with that; I wandered away from it briefly but soon came back.

I got into it after spending some time dragging christmas trees the winter I'd left school. When tht finished I ended up planting, then as a bit of a dogsbody setting chokers and tending fires before picking up a saw and finding I really enjoyed it. That was over 12 years ago now and I still enjoy going to work (most days anyway :lol:)

The majority of what I've done has been Forestry, but over the last 2-3 years have been involved with bit more of a mixture with some Arb and Conservation type works but deep down I'd always prefer to be out in the woods crashing down sticks.