Best long reach hedge trimmer?

Charles Hey Arborist

Need to get myself a new long reach hedge trimmer ASAP.

Ideally get one that you can also use as a pole pruner, although 99% of the time it will be used as a hedge trimmer.

I don't fancy stihl 4mix, so the only option there looks like the 'hobby' KM56.

Echo, husky, tanaka, hitachi? I've not had experience of any of them.

Thanks

Charlie.

Need to get myself a new long reach hedge trimmer ASAP.

Ideally get one that you can also use as a pole pruner, although 99% of the time it will be used as a hedge trimmer.

I don't fancy stihl 4mix, so the only option there looks like the 'hobby' KM56.

Echo, husky, tanaka, hitachi? I've not had experience of any of them.

Thanks

Charlie.

Don't knock them there km56's, they've more power than you think, you want a pole cutter with an adjustable head, don't get a fixed one, and my experiences of stihl and husky are they are much of the same, so if you want speed, husky, if you have some thicker bits to cut, stihl

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

all the hedge cutters we use are 4 mix HL 95s 135 degree

never had a problem with them but have always used stihl HP super

2 stroke oil

all over 3 years old and well used

the kombis we have seem heavier on the front end compared to a dedicated hedge cutter which you notice after a full days use

Got two km85 kombis these aren't made anymore but you see them on eBay , also got a 130r 4mix which I don't rate as much . If I was you I'd go down the middle and get a km 90 r with a km Hl 135 long reach hedge trimmer head , then add a km ht pole pruner head ,also do a extension shaft but it does get heavy !

The long reach stihl are quite bad to use in my opinion, they are noisy, vibrate alot and twist when you pull the trigger, it seems they have too much power for the job in hand. that's the km130r's though, so im sure there would be a better stihl long reach to use somewhere along the range.

Edited by the hedge man

Thanks for. All the replies, nothing mentioned except Stihl! :/

Don't knock them there km56's, they've more power than you think, you want a pole cutter with an adjustable head, don't get a fixed one, and my experiences of stihl and husky are they are much of the same, so if you want speed, husky, if you have some thicker bits to cut, stihl

I've borrowed a KM55 whenever I needed one, but it doesn't feel that well made and died the other day, but has always had plenty of power for the trimming I do. But really don't fancy a 4-mix :/ think ill have to go KM56 for now as its the only stihl that isn't 4-mix.