Petzl Sequoia Modifications

DrSteeeve

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your actually increasing the strength of the Sequioa. Did one other poster even notice this, All you Sequioa veterans dont even know the weakness of the harness.

Did you know the Sequoia is not rated for 22kn.

The gold rings are only rated to 15kn.

Screw the naysayers, they think they are always right, irregardless.

The only thing is to watch IMO, would be the wear, it should be no problem at all, but your attaching a steel pear link to aluminum rig plate.

Just be aware the pear will wear out the plate.

Just keep a careful eye on the rig plate to make sure it is wearing safely.

I really cannot see a problem ?

People use rigging plates and steel carabiners every day.

People who will tell you are crazy and your messing with the integrity of the saddle and bla bla bla bla bla...

People used to make their own saddles, they still do.

It is not against the law to climb a tree with whatever the freak you want is it ?

Have fun DrSteeve. And Stay safe up there.

Edited by Grais

Your actually increasing the strength of the Sequioa. Did one other poster even notice this, All you Sequioa veterans dont even know the weakness of the harness.

The only thing is to watch IMO, would be the wear, it should be no problem at all, but your attaching a steel pear link to aluminum rig plate.

Just be aware the pear will wear out the plate.

Just keep a careful eye on the rig plate to make sure it is wearing safely.

I really cannot see a problem ?

People use rigging plates and steel carabiners every day.

People who will tell you are crazy and your messing with the integrity of the saddle and bla bla bla bla bla...

People used to make their own saddles, they still do.

It is not against the law to climb a tree with whatever the freak you want is it ?

Have fun DrSteeve. And Stay safe up there.

Think your missing the main point of what people have been saying.Why change something that is tried and tested,then put together a system that is way overcomplicated and not needed,like people have said it's up to him what to climb on.That System will not be practical for climbing and will be pretty clunky/heavy to lug around a tree. And i can't see why would you encourage this?.

I'm going to bolt some winch cable to mine to make it stronger. And replace all the padding with steel plate. Stronger is better right?

Facepalm.

I think the point Grais was making was that I haven't done any harm to the system or put my self in any danger, it's stronger, not weaker, sure it may not work as well for you, or maybe for me, I might out it all back in the end, but so long as it is safe there's no harm in experimenting.

Who knows maybe ill stumble upon something that everyone adopts one day (JK)

The rings may be rated individually to 15kn but each one only takes half the load, meaning the full rating is actually 30kn.

Thanks for pointing that out for others Steve.

Dr Steeeve I applaud your experimentation even if to me it seems your looking and investing in all the wrong places..... But just maybe I,m looking at it wrong.

Can I suggest you try searching on YouTube for the doubled rope walker system, I believe Gerry Bernak did a good one it may be a technique you could adapt to your needs.