Very large oak / Root failure

Tommy Hutchinson

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got a point. Should have tied it down with 10 ratchet straps, supported it with 3 tower cranes and then trained a lemur to sever the root plate with a two stroke beaver while you call instructions from the safety of a nearby oak with 6 anchor points...

:lol: The image that put in my head was hilarious.

W

This is a new area of study for me but i will try my best.

There are many types of Shake Wind Shake, Cup Shake, Radial Shakes, Ring Shakes, Frost Shake e.t.c these shakes cause the trees to split/separate along the radial and circumferential planes in a tree.

There are a number of environmental factors such as general damaging agents frost, wind, fires, heavy machinery e.t.c and also old structural defects that occur in the trees structure or basil wounds e.t.c.

In this case the tree that we worked on had radial shake and it seems that Quercus/oak is the most common tree species to be affected.

It is a major structural issue as the trees compartmentalization defense system cannot just wall it off like a fungi . Once a shake starts in the tree its there for the rest of its life. Its a serious problem for timber merchants the wood is useless.

Tony, no fruiting body seen and i have not sent any samples off to be tested. I may well do this if i have time.

This is a new area of study for me but i will try my best.

There are many types of Shake Wind Shake, Cup Shake, Radial Shakes, Ring Shakes, Frost Shake e.t.c these shakes cause the trees to split/separate along the radial and circumferential planes in a tree.

There are a number of environmental factors such as general damaging agents frost, wind, fires, heavy machinery e.t.c and also old structural defects that occur in the trees structure or basil wounds e.t.c.

In this case the tree that we worked on had radial shake and it seems that Quercus/oak is the most common tree species to be affected.

It is a major structural issue as the trees compartmentalization defense system cannot just wall it off like a fungi . Once a shake starts in the tree its there for the rest of its life. Its a serious problem for timber merchants the wood is useless.

Tony, no fruiting body seen and i have not sent any samples off to be tested. I may well do this if i have time.

I'd be interested to see a photo of the butt just to see how bad it is. Other than that, it looks like a reasonable stem. Shame that it can't be used.