Underground guying

kev7937

May have a planting job coming up where they're specifying underground guying to anchor the trees, not had this before and wondered if anyone could share anything here to help me out? :thumbup1:

The largest tubs are 140l and all the trees are 14-16 with 4m height

Ta

Hello mate

We've just completed a fair size planting job to provide privacy screening to a residential property following an extension to a school.

We planted 13 x 3.5-4m Thuja Plicata 'Atrovirens' amongst other trees to form a continuous screen, and anchored them all with 'Platipus' tree anchoring, and supplemented them with 'Piddlar' irrigation systems due to the sandy free draining soil.

It took a bit of getting your head round, but worked really well in the end and we had it down to a fine art by the last one! Very secure, neat and tidy and zero maintenance or unsightly stakes or guys!

Downside? Well if you get called back to grind I guess, but all that metalwork is the next generations problem! In all seriousness though, I've found worse doing a stump grind.

You have to drive 3 or 4 ground anchors in about 1.5m, as said on this site it was sandy soil, but on harder or rocky ground I would be very hesitant to recommend this.

Here's a few pics, google Platpus ground anchor, that's what we used and get from our local nursery, I'm sure others are available

Hope this helps :thumbup1:

Cheers

Beezy

Edited by Beezy
Being a numptie with the pics! Leave it with me...

Unless specified otherwise, we'd form a wooden triangle over the rootball, and then form a plain wire triangle over the wooden one attach to 3" machine rounded posts and drive them into the ground to tension the wire. Works a treat. We,ve used various bought ground anchor kits but the above system works perfectly if the ground conditions are normal and cost about 1/10th of the other.

I've used platypus in the past , first time 20 years ago on an avenue of heavy standards ,which are now well established , I worried about the rootball development for years after I'd planted them but they adapted to the treatment well and look the business

Unless specified otherwise, we'd form a wooden triangle over the rootball, and then form a plain wire triangle over the wooden one attach to 3" machine rounded posts and drive them into the ground to tension the wire. Works a treat. We,ve used various bought ground anchor kits but the above system works perfectly if the ground conditions are normal and cost about 1/10th of the other.

+1 :thumbup1:

we made our own system from three concrete blocks in the ground with braided wire loops from each block then the main one in a triangle pattern tensioned with a ratchet fence strainer. all the wire componets were put together with wire crimps, hard to explain and it was some time ago, all the trees are still upright and saved a fortune over ready made kits.

i could think and explain better if your interested.

thanks carl