First Stump Grinder - Advice

fen01

Evening all, I would like some advice from the wealth of experience here on Arbtalk.

I am planning on getting my first stump grinder and don't know too much about them. I am after a pedestrian grinder most likely a Rayco RG13 - as that's the one I have heard the most about without too much bad stuff, following a mammoth Arbtalk session.

So in short, what other options are there? From what I can gather the Danequip one's look just the job, but may be beyond my limited budget (probably about£1500 or so).

So what's good, what's not and what sort of price is about right for consumables (teeth, belts etc)?

Oh, and what should I be looking for when I finally find one, although having seen a few on ebay - they all seem to have disappeared now i'm ready to buy:blushing:

Cheers

Mark

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be honest don't think it's worth looking at anything else, rg13 Ive had one for 9 years and just blown up if I can't get engine ill just get the same again think its the best little machine out there

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

To be honest don't think it's worth looking at anything else, rg13 Ive had one for 9 years and just blown up if I can't get engine ill just get the same again think its the best little machine out there

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

That's pretty much the impression I'm getting. Engine aside, is there any particular I should be looking at before hand over cash?

I notice you mention the Danequip as a possibility. My brother in law had the 25hp model and had no end of problems with drive belts constantly breaking.

I have only heard good things about the rg13 and am in the process of buying one myself. I've seen one working and they are an awesome little machine:thumbup1:

I've used dosco/Danequip most of my tree work life and I think they are the best all round(25hp). The weight distribution and hand controls are spot on. Got to get the right cutter head on tho with the big teeth not the fingers.

What heads that then ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it will fall on deaf ears but borrow the money to get a decent 25hp plus self drive. Vermeer Rayco etc.

Pardon:D...

I hear what your saying and get the logic, just a bit uncomfortable with borrowing the money atm. May consider delaying the purchase until i have more money though. Lots to think about:)

Sent from my GT-S5690 using Tapatalk 2

I was going to buy a cheap stump grinder like this, but after trying them out i will keep on hiring in until i get the ££,£££ together for a proper machine, i.e.

Rayco Manufacturing

in my honest opinion, £1500 is going to get you a cheese grater and is a waste of time. I would rather hire in and do the job in less than an hour than spend half a day+ wiggling a wee machine on top of a stump.