greenmech cs100 major noise

jmac80

hello all

just bought a cs100 from a tree surgeon in northern Ireland, machine was just in for a service, 2 new blades, air filter etc.

had it shipped over and received it today, as soon as i fired it up it made a metal hitting metal ticking noise and the more the revs increased the louder and faster the noise got.. VERY loud.

Turned it off straight away to have a look for any thing obvious and this is what i found..

1 blade about 5mm from the anvil and looks fine and the other blade about 1mm from the anvil and has scuffs on the top of it.

If both blades are sitting snugly where they should be, but up. how can there so a massive difference in gap between the 2?

img0094large.jpg

img0093large.jpg

img0089large.jpg

img0087largeu.jpg

:confused1:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as soon as i fired it up it made a metal hitting metal ticking noise and the more the revs increased the louder and faster the noise got.. VERY loud.

Sounds like the welds have cracked on the drum. As the rpm's increase centrifugal force throws the blade beds out further hence the noise increasing.

You won't see this until you take the drum out of the cassette - enjoy getting those bearings off :blushing:

Speak to Mac Taylor in Greenmech's workshop, he's an absolutely top bloke and will talk you through it.

Pm your email and i'll sort some photos for you. Unless someone wants to show me how to stick photos in threads:thumbup1:

Regards,

Steve.

thanks for the picture arbtech, what's the fix for that? send to greentech or have someone weld it? any idea on prices?

rob i'm not so sure they are hitting the anvil as there's no scuffs on it at all, however i think it maybe scuffing the drum case.

i have to take the drum somewhere tomorrow to get the bolts out as i don't have a torq that size, any idea what size it is?

maybe the blades are different lengths / thickness and that's why one is so close..?

i have to take the drum somewhere tomorrow to get the bolts out as i don't have a torq that size, any idea what size it is?

maybe the blades are different lengths / thickness and that's why one is so close..?

A T50 from memory, maybe 45? Be very careful, they look like soft bolts to me not the hard ones it comes with?

I think check the blades are matched is the simplist thing to check first :)

thanks for the picture arbtech, what's the fix for that? send to greentech or have someone weld it? any idea on prices?Bearings are £70 (cheapest i found online) through to £1000 for a full cassette. Like i said, have a chat with Mac first:thumbup1:

rob i'm not so sure they are hitting the anvil as there's no scuffs on it at all, however i think it maybe scuffing the drum case. They can't hit the cassette without hitting the anvil first as it's obviously closer

i have to take the drum somewhere tomorrow to get the bolts out as i don't have a torq that size, any idea what size it is?TX40 but make sure it's fully in. When refitting torque to 35Nm and gap the blades to anvil to 0.5mm, they will both be slightly different so go with the closer one.

maybe the blades are different lengths / thickness and that's why one is so close..?Didn't you say they were new? Should be the same in that case. My money's on one of the blade bed welds having split as in the photo.

What year is your machine just out of interest? Mine's a 2009 and guess how i know about this :001_rolleyes:

Regards,

Steve.

What year is your machine just out of interest? Mine's a 2009 and guess how i know about this :001_rolleyes:

Regards,

Steve.

hi steve

it was purchased november 2010

yes both blades are new.

how much and what was the procedure to fix that weld?