Whoa lol

Craobh

I've no clue where to post this so here goes lol

I've read a number of posts etc on here and holy moly the terminology this side of the pond is so different .....I must admit even tho I'm from here alot of the tech speak makes me feel like I'm from another planet lol........

I am a faller (fully cert) but the ways you guys talk about falling trees make me think that it would be a pointless to even try to do certs here as I doubt seriously that I or any instructor would be talking the same language.

I would find it extremely useful if some one could explain why there seems to be so much bore cutting promoted over here as back home that a GOL thing

Not trying to be controversial but has everything gone euro here???

On that subject is there no backing up side notching face sweep done here and does anyone use the humbolt and swanson ???

Just looking for kinda feedback or views and translations

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would find it extremely useful if some one could explain why there seems to be so much bore cutting promoted over here as back home that a GOL thing

On that subject is there no backing up side notching face sweep done here

Hi welcome to Arbtalk :thumbup: what's GOL? And backing up side notching face sweep?! Please enlighten me. I presume you are in usa?

Hi welcome to Arbtalk :thumbup: what's GOL? And backing up side notching face sweep?! Please enlighten me. I presume you are in usa?

I think side notching and face sweep is taking off the root claws and generally making a clean surface before putting in any felling cuts ...Could be wrong

No guys lol face sweep etc not what y'all think lol ......no I'm back home in UK just trained over the pond.

Sweeping is plunging the face (I generally used it if cutting for veneer as stump jumping -the old way lol- ain't cool or safe,but it still done. and taking the heart then backing in up......side notching is used on leaners .......humbolt and swanson type of faces. The GOL lol is the Game of logging lol......I'll put it politely doing the swedish cutting dance lol.......you get a fairly good ball cap tho for going, oh and the lunch not bad either lmao.

I guess that I do speak a different lingo lol all be it with a brit accent lol. If any of you folks need translation of over the pond terms I'll do my best.

I'm just used to falling afaif amount of timber per day but looks as tho I don't speak the lang here and I'm a dinosaur too as it all seems to be buncher falled here.

The bore cutting thing is a mystery. The only thing I can put it down to is colleges teaching it, and the students getting the impression that anything with the slightest lean on it needs bore cutting, I've seen people bore cutting absolutely pointless trees before. I reckon i'm lucky if I need to make half a dozen bore cuts a year

The bore cutting thing is a mystery. The only thing I can put it down to is colleges teaching it, and the students getting the impression that anything with the slightest lean on it needs bore cutting, I've seen people bore cutting absolutely pointless trees before. I reckon i'm lucky if I need to make half a dozen bore cuts a year

Oh buddy you on the same page as me ........I have seen folks lose a tree doing the swedish dance tech ........it far far safer to use other methods......to me boring is just a tool in the fallers bag of tricks.

I ain't being big headed but the other day I totally shocked a guy by swinging a tree using a hard dutchman .....he wanted to put ropes etc on it (all good and well I guess) but very time consuming and I only climb if I have to lol

Hard Dutchman? :confused:

Basically a block hard up in the face on one side ........you cut the holding wood of that side leaving more on the other .......when tree falls it will pull to the side with more hinge and the block acts like a pivot ......you may here it called a step dutchman too

Please don't any one try it it used to swing trees to lay on the lead.

maybe not well described but I can show it in practice lol