Finishes with angle grinders

abercarver

Yeesh that sounds nasty Dave. Sounds like you got off lightly, relieved you're on the mend mate. Sandng with grinders, die grinders and drills has got to more risky than saws, theres little or no safety features and when things go awry theres not much you can do about it.

I often use grit discs on the grinder with no guard to get into tighter spots, think I'll put if back on. Had a worried moment the other day, put a big homemade Sanding mop on the die grinder and the Damn thing nearly took off!

Lancelot and Squire Cutters | King Arthur's Tools, I bought one of these once used it once and threw it away..............I am no health and safety nazi but these bits of kit are very very dangerious imo and would steer well clear as dervishcarving says, I can see how it happened, I too have removed half my index finger with a similar tool. they travel through bone very quickly.

ill write to the company in a few days and see what they say. i find sanding discs etc are fine. if u wear gloves they are pretty safe but these chain-cutters are just insane. my instinct was to not use it but the person who baught it for me was there so i thought i should give it a go.... should have stuck to my instincts :( never mind. ill be back carving in a couple of months i hope

Sound advice and super ideas, for the price I think ill stick with flap discs but look at building up my tools as and when I can.

Them things are lethal!! I nearly slipped once and it was too close for comfort. Some people say 'take the guards off' Im covered with eye protection, dust mask, ear plugs and gloves....

....looking like im using some crazy deadly substance. Not sure what the neighbours make when im wandering around the garden.

Hope your back carving soon Dervish!!

Think I'm using 24 and 36 grit on a soft backing on the grinder. You have to keep it moving but it takes off a lot and doesn't seem to clog up. Seems cheaper than flap discs.

Mind you, nothing fancy like the rest of you guys. I'm still on shrooms.