550xp Bar size?

Tommy Hutchinson

Is having a 18inch on a 550xp the equivlant of having a an 48inch on a Stihl 880

I think what we are getting at is that it is more efficent and gives the chain faster mps around the bar when using the smaller bars.

I have a 13 and 15 inch bar for the 550xp and will purchase a 18inch just to see how it handels it. :)

I'd say it would be more like an 880 with a 60" or similar - big but you'll know it's there.

I'm sure a longer bar would have a marginally lower chain speed due to a bit of extra friction, but hardly nooticable. It's more the extra work it's doing in the cut when at full bar length. Plus IMO it'll handle like a barge :laugh1:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

mate, do you even no about CODIT, axium of uniform stress, reaction wood, fungal vectors and cellular structures, let alone mycelium and mhychorizal associations

Is this spam :confused1:

Ref the OP - you can run an 18" bar on a 550xp but most people don't because it's outside of where that saw works best which for most is 13" or 15".

As said most people will reach for a larger saw than fit a bigger bar but if you haven't got a larger saw then 18" on a 550 is an option.

:001_smile:

mate, do you even no about CODIT, axium of uniform stress, reaction wood, fungal vectors and cellular structures, let alone mycelium and mhychorizal associations

These are the reasons for not running an 18" bar on a 550 then ? :lol:

i run mine on a 30 inch bar, ideal for ringing up, people think its too big but i say fine

:wtf:

:confused1:

Wrong thread, mate?

ditto or spam :confused1:

sorry guys, im just farting about because the chap who started the thread goes to college with me, was just talking nonsense to him.

but yeah the 550s at college all run 15s but im sure it would handle an 18 i have a husky 268 with an 18 and hes fine, and as the 550 is much newer and i presume built alot better, it would handle it just fine

i have a husky 268 with an 18 and hes fine, and as the 550 is much newer and i presume built alot better, it would handle it just fine

Yeh but the 268 is a 66cc machine, the 550xp is 50cc....

Can't really compare the two.

Yeh but the 268 is a 66cc machine, the 550xp is 50cc....

Can't really compare the two.

Yea but I think you can .... 268 is in relative terms a relic ( good saw in its day ) the 550 albeit smaller capacity is more efficient in delivering its power and may cope fine . I have a 560 and run that on an 18" and its well within its scope . I think a 550 would be ok . but as has been said best on 13" - 15" .

I wouldn't want to use an 18" bar on a 550 because I suspect it would feel awful. It's a 50cc saw, designed to be light, flickable and nicely balanced. If I needed an 18" bar, I'd be reaching for a bigger saw.

Husky say about using a 24" bar on a 372 - IMO 20" is as big as it wants and even then it's only if I have to.

I'm sure either saw will pull the biggest bars it lists for them, but at the expense of balance and cutting speed if at full bar length.

They probably list the bigger bars because it makes it sound more impressive, but just cos it says it in the catalogue, doesn't mean it will work well in the real world :001_smile:

It all depends on the wood you're cutting, and what chain you are cutting with.

Here's a quick vid I took at the end of the day of my 372XP, non-ported, with a 28" bar, using mildly modified square tooth full skip chain(CJ) buried in Oregon Maple:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8uNt0CqU0c]372XP in Big Leaf Maple - YouTube[/ame]

OREGON brand 72CJ/CK/CL , 73CJ/CK/CL , 75CJ/CK/CL chainsaw chain

Edited by wyk

I wouldn't want to use an 18" bar on a 550 because I suspect it would feel awful. It's a 50cc saw, designed to be light, flickable and nicely balanced. If I needed an 18" bar, I'd be reaching for a bigger saw.

Husky say about using a 24" bar on a 372 - IMO 20" is as big as it wants and even then it's only if I have to.

I'm sure either saw will pull the biggest bars it lists for them, but at the expense of balance and cutting speed if at full bar length.

They probably list the bigger bars because it makes it sound more impressive, but just cos it says it in the catalogue, doesn't mean it will work well in the real world :001_smile:

I agree with you on the 550 .......but a 372 will pull a way more than a 20|" bar ........we use 372 predominantly and the smallest bar we pull is a 24" my 372 has pulled a 28 with no probs

It all depends on the wood you're cutting, and what chain you are cutting with.

Here's a quick vid I took at the end of the day of my 372XP, non-ported, with a 28" bar, using mildly modified square tooth full skip chain(CJ) buried in Oregon Maple:

OREGON brand 72CJ/CK/CL , 73CJ/CK/CL , 75CJ/CK/CL chainsaw chain

where i OR was that.....I cut up there years ago now mainly south of the Mason Dixon but still venture to WA and NCA lol