forestry

I started in the forest at 16 and in my time I saw more lads come and go including plumbers and joiners all wanting a taste, the truth is you have to be a different breed of man to stick it out both financially and physically. You could say its a life style thing! I see lads today coming up and the most disturbing thing is that most dont have the aptitude to work in forestry or arbwork.

I also believe that the only place to learn the industry is in the workplace nose to the grindstone that goes for both sides of our industry its seems more important today to have the right boots or the right pair of trousers than a pride in your days work for a poor wage but happy to go to work the next day, its turned into a fashion parade.

Out with the pfanners and back with the high heels, bras and suspendies pressing flowers and scones for tea

sorry nostalgia got me there for a minute:blushing:

oh i do tree work now in me pfanners and petzl helmet the money was crap in forestry:lol::thumbup:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bumped into some guys that claimed they could fell a massive tonnage per day. They obviously weren't the guys doing the extraction as when we saw one of their sites it looked more like a windblow site.

I'm quite fortunate to be employed on an estate rather than piece rate. Doing the whole process certainly improves the quality of work and presentation as it it is yourself you make more work for with slap-dash work.

Well said. Quality planting squads. Planting now for 8 years and all the public and private sector want is trees planted quickly and cheaply. Planter has to sort out the poor ground prep etc. I've seen alot of planting squads that seen to get more work than myself due to being cheaper sometimes, like high death rates so that they gain more work in future ie beat up, they can do no wrong.

I take pride in my planting. Make sure the tree is planted correctly.

Given the pittance that is paid for commercial planting by the likes of Tilhill etc, it is a miracal that the trees are planted the right way up. You do not good get good planting at 12p per tree.

I've been trying to get into forestry for like a year now & yea it is very hard to get in to! Literally contacted everyone! I've been give a chance by a biggish company & someone actually on here who works for them helped me out! I've been let loose with a forwarder & got some good feed back! I give up my days during the week to get exp so I can peruse it as a future career. But I loved it & everyone kept saying 'you'll have some luck soon, you've got to?!' & I have :) & that's my experience :)

if i want to i can still knock out 100 to 150 a day cutting but it takes its toll on the body as we all know , i think for the risks and days you cant work ie rain snow bad winds etc a cutter with skill should get a grand a week ,what with fuel tax running costs 4x4 etc but it will never happen . the logburner epidemic should be good for us but the customer seems to want wood for nothing at the moment , in 10 years when us older cutters are burnt out there will be a lack of good men for sure all my work is local 15 mile radius . i used to do up to 140 miles a day regular to cut wood but will never do it again , but still like the thud of a big tree going down

Bollocks to it then.

I'm going to be a plumber 2 weeks of the year and spend all my money doing forestry for the other 50....

£150 an hour cant get out of bed for that they are under selling themselves :biggrin: install generators for 2 weeks 50 weeks making kindling :thumbup: