Rip offs

Arborlord

i often feel we as tree surgeons get ripped off but i have never put it down to the dealer as if i believed a dealer was ripping me off guess what????i go somewhere else

i do believe that somewhere either the manufacturers or importers or too many middle men think we are made of money

I Have wanted a pair of stretch air rec trousers for general wear but £120 plus vat ............can not do it

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i often feel we as tree surgeons get ripped off but i have never put it down to the dealer as if i believed a dealer was ripping me off guess what????i go somewhere else

i do believe that somewhere either the manufacturers or importers or too many middle men think we are made of money

I Have wanted a pair of lacy knickers and suspenders for general wear but £120 plus vat ............can not do it, ill just keep wearing the wifes.

well!! you kinky devil.:001_tongue:

shop around i think we pay £145 for them

we buy our 020t for £175 in the states its a joke that in your own country cant match it

the internet is a great tool for shopping

Hi folks

as a group of companies we own a retail out let trees unlimited in leeds and suffolk, and can only repeat what jones and others have said, just like any company there are overheads and in the same way as a tree company may have to swallow some costs eg if a fence panel gets broken there may be costs we swallo, like a karabeaner with a sluggish gate action the manufacturer says passes there test but we swop as really not good for tree wor, so there are costs born in similar ways but from a differant source.

just like jones trees unlimited are tied in to whole salers for may items and it is a fact that in poor exchange rate times that has a negative affect on price discounts but in the good times commands very good discount to the retailer, alas all sufefring on the retail side at the moment.

Jones trees unlimited stanton hope, buxtons etc all have other issues like soem suppliers will not allow us to sell on the internet some of there items and insist that they go through a dealer network were customer recives certain info etc, so as much as we would love to get direct delivery out dealerships are at risk if we do.

as for buying from the states, well those dealers should not be doing it it is aganst there dealership and also it is an offence to purchase and use for work in this country no ce marked items such as chainsaw harnesses etc, and honestly us saws are difefrant to uk saws in many ways, you als o get no warenty support in the uk.

now i dont whant to get in to the great uk we are taxed etc etc etc debate as we all know that there are many good things about living hear or we wopuld all emigrate, but to answer the question are we getting ripped off......

nope we are a hig tax nation with a welfair state to support and for that we all pay one way or another................would we like the gear to be cheaper yes, as with jones and the whole salers that supply us when trees unlimited gets a price reduction we pass it on.

as a ps ive found it very interesting now working for a company with a retail side and actually seeing how that side of things works and am supprised just how small margins are compared with other retail markets like cloths.

cheers all

kevin

I Have wanted a pair of stretch air rec trousers for general wear but £120 plus vat ............can not do it

you feel ripped off... buy a firewood processor then.:sneaky2:

to be honest though, if you cant afford your safety gear there must be a problem within the business.

work out your expenses over the year, divide it by the amount of workable days, add on your profit margin and then work out your hourly rate........ too cheap on your pricing or are your expenses too high????

If you have an issue with a certain product, you take it up with the supplier, who relays this to the manufacturer. If you have a problem with a price, shop around. I'm tighter than a ducks ass in water, but find no reason not to spend good money on quality goods, of which I include the stretch-airs you mention.

Of course, if you think you could buy and sell on products to a very minor industry, and earn a living, you could always set up your own dealership.

All the gear bought in within the industry is that price due to quallity

just my thoughts are as followed:

REF: Trousers. if you are to buy trousers you want confort ,light longlasting,durable trousers .

eg.you buy stretch airs as andy said top quality but top end price made out of the best scholler material available BUT if you cant afford them then you get a LESS quality scholler material but still a very good trouser and go for the Hiflex and so on.

Just bear inmind that you wear these 8 hours a day 5 days a week or maybe 6or7 for 12 months of the year in hours = roughly 1920 HOURS...........

There is not much maintanance to do for trousers unlike your chipper so would you run your chipper for 1920 hours without changing the OIL , or even checking it ?

REF:BOOTS

Again same principle they get hammered on your feet all that time in the conditions we all work in so you get wot you pay for

ROPE:

Would you buy a chinese rope without a CE mark because its 50 quid cheaper than a good quality rope thats gone through a proper test and bears the famous CE MY ANSWER no.

so in my eyes everything has its price at the end of the day its all down to wot price we put on our LIVES,FEET,LEGS ETC....

Sorry if ive repeated myself or others but just had to get that off my chest...

Too many people are so used to being ripped off they dont even realise it.

This recession will be such a good thing the value of money will become relevant and greedy companies will crash and burn.

Its not aimed at dealers its aimed at our whole industry our prices will go down so why should we be paying higher costs on gear.

Every one should have the right the the best protection or are you saying the poorer guys should have shite gear that you would not wear.

:thumbdown:

I personally use the top line but some people cant afford it and thats were my thoughts have come from.:confused1: