How straight is your wood?

Woodworks

No smut please :001_tongue:

I was just wondering how many of you are processing twisted gnarly wood for firewood. Almost all that we process is from moorland hedges so large amounts of branch material and short stumpy trunks none of which would go through a processor. I get the impression of you guys processing gun barrel straight rounds from woodlands but is this really the case?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just wondering how many of you are processing twisted gnarly wood for firewood. Almost all that we process is from moorland hedges so large amounts of branch material and short stumpy trunks none of which would go through a processor. I get the impression of you guys processing gun barrel straight rounds from woodlands but is this really the case?

No us we can make logs from any shape! :001_smile:

Thats very hard work indeed.

Most of mine is of the gun barrell ish variety, got some bent stuff in my private wood heap though.

A

i'm out of the firewood business now but when I was, mostly all my wood was tree surgery waste. Its all about how you manage it though. I would sned everything out nice and clean and flush on site, and any cordwood was cut at the bends so most of the stuff would be right ready to go through the processor. Also anything bigger than 15" in diameter would be rung up on site so it would be ready to drop straight in the processors splitting bay. A little extra time on site meant my pile for processing would mostly be a joy to process with little need to pick up a saw ever.

On the odd time I did buy a load in though it was a joy to process and considerably quicker.

The stuff I buy is straight and ready to go through my processor but the tree surgery stuff is bent but as Steve says if you get it ready on site its easier back at the yard. I also have a tractor mounts splitter for the big stuff, its all money at the end of the day:)

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

Thats very hard work indeed.

Most of mine is of the gun barrell ish variety, got some bent stuff in my private wood heap though.

A

Maybe I am making it sound worse than it is. And I only do around 100m3 per season.

This is pretty representative of what I process for firewood. It maybe hard graft but I would rather turn this stuff into logs in the rain than work in a call center :lol:

Truncator

I like your design of saw horse and I wish you well with it but in all honesty do you think it the best way to cut up this sort of wood?

DSC00741.jpg.97a64593b3cf590234ff2df520bb4166.jpg

DSC00740.jpg.153f526bdc2e006d01df87df66382587.jpg

thats pretty representative of good hardwood that we get to be honest, that would all go through a processor no problem

joy

really? every demo I have seen they only put dead straight stuff through. I did consider a processor for a bit but many mentioned problems with anything less than straight wood so I have stuck with a chainsaw and axe. What make of processor do you use?

We used to put almost anything through a processor (a good one should take most stuff) but now we leave the smaller or bent stuff to chip (we're lucky to have a hardwood contract though :) ). Our wood looks similar to the picture that woodworks posted.

I normally find that diameter is more important than how straight wood is, if there's a load of 2/4 inch stuff it takes ages to put through a processor (especially if you have joystick controls which are a set speed).

I would say that it's about 3 times as fast to put 12 inch straight logs through a processor compared to small, bent stuff which is why they demonstrate with big stuff, and usually softwood.

Edited by gdh
saw another reply