How often do you lock your chain?

Stereo

Noone seems to have differentiated between climbers and ground users.

I doubt many climbers rely on a perfectly tuned saw and tensioned chain to make sure it doesn't move when idling.

The 'wearing out chainbrakes' argument is a bit tiring. If you can't replace a spring which costs a few quid every now and again it's pretty sad.

The story about the girl slamming on the brake with her right palm made me cringe.

I'm pretty good on the brake, don't really notice it TBH.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt many climbers rely on a perfectly tuned saw and tensioned chain to make sure it doesn't move when idling.

The 'wearing out chainbrakes' argument is a bit tiring. If you can't replace a spring which costs a few quid every now and again it's pretty sad.

The story about the girl slamming on the brake with her right palm made me cringe.

I would accept that for climbing, chainbrake usage is advised. Certainly, if I climbed I would.

Different matter on the ground though. As others have mentioned, hearing someone slamming the brake on all the time is excruciating.

Jonathan

So what's the above drivel got to do with the op " how often do you lock your chainbrake"

Drivel?! Excuse me?

As most threads on here, they seem to drift off. I thought id take the opportunity while reading something not dissimilar to clear something thats been on my chest for a while without starting a new thread and directly slating the company.

If you must.. I always use the chainbrake in the tree, caught me off guard once when the chain was slack and cut through the rope dangling below me. Luckily i noticed. On the ground, rarely.

Happy?

I would accept that for climbing, chainbrake usage is advised. Certainly, if I climbed I would.

Different matter on the ground though. As others have mentioned, hearing someone slamming the brake on all the time is excruciating.

Jonathan

LOL, I imagine it must. Buzz, click,click, buzz, click.

I only ask as the way my dad uses a saw (has done for probably 60 years without injury) makes me cringe. We were out the other day clearing down an overstood hazel and I managed to trip while moving through the stuff. The way I and the saw fell meant that my visor hit the chain as I went down and it came up, having bounced off a fallen limb. Now I appreciate that there was no throttle on and the chain would not be moving in all likelihood even with the brake off but it freaked me out a bit.

I guess the main thing was that visor saved face meeting sharp chain which was good.

To be honest Mark, I reckon I only go through one spring in a blue moon. The chain brake goes on when the saw is idling rather than going flat knacker. In fact, come to think if it, the last spring I replaced was about two years ago on an old husky.

I also seem to remember reading somewhere (not sure if it was on AT) some guy actually falling on top of the saw while it was running. I don't see the difficulty in knocking it on if you're moving about :confused1:

I've also seen that action of slamming on of the chain brake with the palm of the hand, mainly with trainees or older bushmen. For some reason thay cant seem to get the nack of flicking the wrist or it's something they've done for years and is now just a habit. Makes me shiver everytime I see it.

Drivel?! Excuse me?

As most threads on here, they seem to drift off. I thought id take the opportunity while reading something not dissimilar to clear something thats been on my chest for a while without starting a new thread and directly slating the company.

If you must.. I always use the chainbrake in the tree, caught me off guard once when the chain was slack and cut through the rope dangling below me. Luckily i noticed. On the ground, rarely.

Happy?

There's a difference between drifting off subject and slagging someone off to potentially millions off people when those millions of people are not in possession of the full facts. This forum is not for you to air your dirty washing.

I would expect an experienced chainsaw user to have noticed something wasn't right with the saw long before the clutch burnt out btw

On this forum, we have a few simple rules which as members you all agree to adhere to. One of these rules is Rule 4, I suggest some might read throught he rules again before posting further. If you have an issue with anyone's service, products etc you deal with it privately ie not on the forum. This is most important from the legal perspective, how would you feel if it was your business being slagged off on a public forum, and how would you react to it? Think on.

There's a difference between drifting off subject and slagging someone off to potentially millions off people when those millions of people are not in possession of the full facts. This forum is not for you to air your dirty washing.

I would expect an experienced chainsaw user to have noticed something wasn't right with the saw long before the clutch burnt out btw

Don't think anyone on here who has used f r jones will even take notice of his post. We all know how good they are at what they do so who cares.

As for having an issue with a dealer take it up with them NOT us.......:001_cool:

Chain brake. Yes use it if I ever have to move more than a foot, unless snedding up timber and the bar is on the other side of tree.....

Keep doing what you are doing and you will have no issues when you take you assessments with it.

Don't climb so can't say about up a tree. But would seem common sense to use it, if only when you are moving around the tree....

Sorry Andy you beat me to it..

Around 2 yrs ago I had serviced a saw and all was well. It is my habit to just run the saws up again after they have gone cold.

I took this Promac 60 off the storage shelf to run it up, but the phone rang, so I put it on the bench. Later I came back to it and moved it to use the bench but then remembered why it was there, so gave it a quick pull. I must have thought it was ready to start, but the chain cover was still on and the brake off.

It started well and revved straight up, in fact faster than my brain. I saw the cover jumping around, so took my finger off the throttle and stupidly reached forward to grab the cover, but it had shot off the bar by the time my hand closed over the still spinning chain.

Ouch, Blood, Skin bits. Luckily even though my thoughts were slow my reflex was quick and the damage was minimal but messy.

I always ensure that the chain brake is on now before starting and when carrying a saw

I always ensure that the chain brake is on now before starting and when carrying a saw

Agree,especially if your carrying a running climbing saw (ms200etc) because if you trip your natural reaction will be to grip on to what your holding,i.e the throttle .