Jared Falling

RC0

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think to be more accurate you need an open gob to allow the hinge to hold for as long as poss.

agree, it looks like when the 2 faces met the fibres were still attached - forcing the timber off target (rolling along the curve of the stump face). The fibres were acting like taught strands of rope along the back of the tree where the backcut was made as the 2 faces met.

Good video for highlighting why open notch (+60 degress etc) is nearly always better for accuracy.

Wide notches are also important in tight situations where fibrous wooded trees (sitka etc) might want to veer off course mid fell as the faces meet (on a convential 45 degree notch) due to biased crown spread, the open notch avoids this problem.

Then you got trees like Sycamore, Poplar and dead trees where it doesn't matter too much cause the hinge is breaking almost instantly.

I just can't see the advantages of the humboldt other than possibly throwing the stick further out from the stump?

Edited by scotspine1

Do you two NEVER clear anything up until you've finished cutting...? :001_huh::lol:

Joking aside, we get through a hell of alot of work on a given day. The big doug fir log laying down in the vid was about 140, ivolving lots of rigging, zip-lining etc. We had a septic field, gas pipe and powerlines to work around on that job. Plus the cedar in the vid was hanging all over the roof....so perhaps not as gung ho as it appears. But its all good....never dull:thumbup1:

Joking aside, we get through a hell of alot of work on a given day. The big doug fir log laying down in the vid was about 140, ivolving lots of rigging, zip-lining etc. We had a septic field, gas pipe and powerlines to work around on that job. Plus the cedar in the vid was hanging all over the roof....so perhaps not as gung ho as it appears. But its all good....never dull:thumbup1:

It was more Jared noting his EXCELLENT escape route in the faller v hacker vid, reminded me of a forestry backed ash coppicing we did years ago at home. :001_smile:

Somewhere along the line we ended up having to get it done by a certain date, and had not left enough time.:001_huh:

We started at the bottom of the bank working across and up until the whole lot was on the ground, couple of acres.

Was an absolute nightmare to clear up, carnage.... :001_rolleyes::laugh1:

And not for 1 SECOND would I question your judgement Reg, but it did make me chuckle :thumbup1:

It was more Jared noting his EXCELLENT escape route in the faller v hacker vid, reminded me of a forestry backed ash coppicing we did years ago at home. :001_smile:

Somewhere along the line we ended up having to get it done by a certain date, and had not left enough time.:001_huh:

We started at the bottom of the bank working across and up until the whole lot was on the ground, couple of acres.

Was an absolute nightmare to clear up, carnage.... :001_rolleyes::laugh1:

And not for 1 SECOND would I question your judgement Reg, but it did make me chuckle :thumbup1:

I dumped all the cedar brush at the bottom of the tree, Jared on the rigging line, about 6 ft deep at the finish. The chipper was probably 100ft away on the road.

After, I tied a 200ft rigging line to the top of the cedar pole and then ran it out through a redirect pulley on the far side of the road, and then tied off to the back of my truck.

I set a pulley with eight chokers hanging from it on the rigging/zipline, attached as much brush as possible each time and then drove off in the truck elevating the zipline, hence, speeding all the brush out onto the road. Probably got done with two of us more than 4 guys dragging would have.

I set a pulley with eight chokers hanging from it on the rigging/zipline, attached as much brush as possible each time and then drove off in the truck elevating the zipline, hence, speeding all the brush out onto the road. Probably got done with two of us more than 4 guys dragging would have.

Sounds like the making of the next video Reg, great vids as always :thumbup: