dodgy!

martin p

Not at all, if the LA in question is reluctant to put the TPO's online you can go to the council offices and do your own checks.

That's ok in theory, but we deal with Rochdale, Oldham, Tameside, Stockport, Trafford, Bury, Bolton, Salford, Manchester and other areas. The websites vary greatly from authority to authority with some showing TPO's, some just CA's.

We may search a dozen addresses every day, because we want to know before we visit the customer what the status is. phone calls are usually quicker and more up to date.

The information on the web is only as accurate as the last IT update. I think the council only has to register TPO's in their offices, so an online search may not defensible in court. Of course someone will probably be better informed.

On our initial contact with a client we do explain that we will undertake a search before meeting though.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You crack and and pay as i had mine for free. 😜 But what i was getting at , is how my local TO has helped and saved some time for me

Sent using fones4hobbits

Didn't have to, it's all on line, I get your point but they also use helping you as a sweetener.

I take your points, but would still say that checking for statutory protection on trees you are not instructed to work on is wasting your time!

Isn't it better to make it very clear on your initial quotation that you will check for protection upon receipt of a written instruction to commence with the job?

But isn't it a waste of time quoting for work that isn't going to receive consent. At least if you know, prior to attending, you're in a better position to advise as to what is likely to be consented or refused.

But isn't it a waste of time quoting for work that isn't going to receive consent. At least if you know, prior to attending, you're in a better position to advise as to what is likely to be consented or refused.

Some clients want to know the price of the job before filling out the paperwork. Ive only had one that didn't want the work done due to the price so it saved me time and i left it with them

Sent using fones4hobbits

Didn't have to, it's all on line, I get your point but they also use helping you as a sweetener.

As said not everything is on line, and they can sweeten me up anytime as theres some lovely TO's (female) lol. For me its just the way i do things and my clients seem happy with it. Im sure if i was located else where i would adapt and overcome bud

Sent using fones4hobbits

Some clients want to know the price of the job before filling out the paperwork. Ive only had one that didn't want the work done due to the price so it saved me time and i left it with them

Sent using fones4hobbits

I don't fill out any paperwork, just go out with an inquiry form - from our office- with all the clients contact info and two tick boxes for TPO and CA status.

With the client I write a brief job description, sketch plan and price. Client can say yea or nay or contact office later. If the jobs accepted, I'll submit the application. :thumbup:

I don't fill out any paperwork, just go out with an inquiry form - from our office- with all the clients contact info and two tick boxes for TPO and CA status.

With the client I write a brief job description, sketch plan and price. Client can say yea or nay or contact office later. If the jobs accepted, I'll submit the application. :thumbup:

I get you bud, but at the min all the work i do is private and i work full time as well. Every job i do is a step closer for me to run my own firm without owing anything and can hit the ground running.

Sent using fones4hobbits

Hmmm, I guess that depends which takes longer - the enquiry response from the LPA or the quote!

You make a good point though - knowing the status in advance of meeting the client will impress them and make the process smoother for them.

Out of interest, if the LPA ask you why you are making the enquiry, what do you say? I am always tempted to tell them it's none of their business but figure that doesn't grease the wheels very well:biggrin:

If it were me (I rarely quote for tree works anymore) I'd still discuss the client's wishes with them before enquiring about a TPO...taking enough notes on site so that if the trees turns out to be protected you could suggest a more appropriate spec to your client that is more likely to be consented.

I guess it really depends on the ease of access to information. If it's a 2 minute phone call or a quick online check then fine, do it first - but if (as I have known before) the LPA ask for a written enquiry and take days to reply then I certainly wouldn't bother without an instruction from the client.

why on earth you would work on a tree without checking status is beyond me. We all know roughly conservation areas and the councils that have 'good' tree policy. TPO trees often shout at you.

Our local council has everything online as are many now getting.

If someone gives you £400 cash to fell a couple of yews in a chapel ground then surely you smell a rat immediately.

Not checking is indefensible. We have recently obtained permission to work on a TPO group of trees in 5 days from applying so it isn't really that much of a barrier to business. Definately agree that you should inform the client that you will be checking though. Asking 'behind their back' is not good business and never will be. Professional ettiquette.

Hmmm, I guess that depends which takes longer - the enquiry response from the LPA or the quote!

You make a good point though - knowing the status in advance of meeting the client will impress them and make the process smoother for them.

Out of interest, if the LPA ask you why you are making the enquiry, what do you say? I am always tempted to tell them it's none of their business but figure that doesn't grease the wheels very well:biggrin:

If it were me (I rarely quote for tree works anymore) I'd still discuss the client's wishes with them before enquiring about a TPO...taking enough notes on site so that if the trees turns out to be protected you could suggest a more appropriate spec to your client that is more likely to be consented.

I guess it really depends on the ease of access to information. If it's a 2 minute phone call or a quick online check then fine, do it first - but if (as I have known before) the LPA ask for a written enquiry and take days to reply then I certainly wouldn't bother without an instruction from the client.

All searches are over the phone, most councils will give an immediate answer, although some with lower staffing levels my take an hour or two. Our local council are terrific, we don't even introduce ourselves any more.

Because we check everything no-one queries the reasons but a standard answer would be that we 'd been asked to look at some trees - very non-committal .

We 've lost a small number of jobs because of our pre-emptive searches, but I suspect a number of these were due to the prospective clients prior knowledge of constraints.

I informed one client about a CA restraint and got abused because her solicitor said there wasn't any. I produced a plan and asked if her brief had informed her that her new house was also in a flood zone. :lol::lol: