tree officers

dodger

I think it is possible to carry out a H&S inspection without holding CS tickets.

this is it i do street trees and by law to work have to have my tickets and chater 8 but how can a tree officer police us if they never had practical experience or hold any cs tickets.

a inexperience bloke cant police a more experience bloke but it happens daily in tree work

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think threads like this are always amusing.....there are loads of tree officers visit this site on a regular basis......they may think twice about passing work over to some of the negatively posting members.....but thats your call to make :)

I'm glad someone finally pointed that out...!! And that goes for some of the other threads on here as well...

Ive been on the trees for 17 years and seen many a T O come and go .

Sometimes they really stress me out . I love my job but Its tough trying to find the balance of what you think the tree requires and what the T O wants. It does however really annoy me when T O gets confused between tree species . Anyway Ive just learnt to chill out at the grand old age of 37

couple of shots of rum and a rub down with Voltarol good to go .:001_cool:

I think TO should have to have some practical experience in actually carrying out tree work.

May make them think twice about some of the silly things they ask.

Ive met some real muppets who think that they only have the interest of the tree at heart and see us as the enemy, but also some great guys who know what they are on about and work with us not against us.

They realise we have to make a living and saying no to everything will only push contractors into trying to get away without permission.

They need to realise that involving them(which we should do obviously) is a good thing and therefore should give us a little respect to encourage us all to work together.

And err trying to cut down on the paper work would be a better thing, if the tree is DDD then just bleedin exempt it rather than make me put an application in :bored:

im currently studying a fdsc arb and tree care course. out of 8 people im the only one with any real industry experience. im not saying that some of the people on the course wont make good tree officers but im unsure of why some people are on the course, why they have decided to become a part of this very small industry, im also concerned about the "professional" status they will hold on completion of the course(although the course includes a years work 'experience').im not doing the course to become a TO, im doing it to to expand my professional ability and to further my own buissness.. i know why im doing the course but struggle to understand the motives of of some other people

quite lot of tree officers are straight out of college and never done a days work working with trees. just your thoughts on this do you think they should have some work experience working with tree gangs for a year or so before they become tree offficers

I spent 16 years as a Tree Surgeon before I became a Tree Officer, and in my time on the tools I worked under many Tree Officers. I can honestly say that I could tell the one’s straight out of college within the first 5 minutes of meeting them. It then depended on whether or not they had someone to guide them or whether they were left to there own devices as to how they turned out.

I can only speak from my own experience and not wishing to blow my own trumpet when I say I’ve had a number of tree surgeons who contract for me say, that its nice to have someone who knows what there on about and understand the job.