Dead/dying trees

launchster

Hi guys. I'm just looking for thoughts on climbing dead and dying trees.

I've been climbing for about 5years, but for a company. So whenever there was a dodgy tree, the boss dealt with it. Now i have my own company and so am calling the shots myself.

I tend to air on the side of caution with most things (not so gun ho!)

I've had a look at a dying poplar, its approx 1.5m diameter base and stems into 3 pieces about 7ft up, then goes to about 90ft in height. One stem looks more dead then the others. I'm not after advice on this specific tree as i know it cant be given without seeing it. Is just there is no access for a suitable mewp, to far to reach with a crane (even just to tie into)

There is space to fell it in 3 pieces just above the forks if i can find a strong winch base.

I guess i'm just looking for thoughts on when a tree isnt safe to climb in personal opinions.

If a tree has died fairly recently and the site allows for a climber to cut and chuck (no stresses from rigging, or dropping huge pieces from a hinge cut) do you think the climbers weight makes much difference to the tree if say its still standing after fairly strong winds etc.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a personal thing. I've climbed hundreds of dead elms and prefer them to poplars. You've probably enough experience to know if things feel wrong. I think even if you rig it just choose smaller loads and larger anchor points than usual.

I never worry about my eleven odd stone making that much difference. After you've done it you'll wonder why you had any concerns. Think of it as part of your learning curve and development. Good luck with it.

Agree with that. I've felt fairly nervous up dead, decayed trees before. Take bits small to start, once you've got the ends off even a 20stone fatty won't make much difference to a tree that stood through the last strong winds. At least that's what I told myself!

dead trees - smooth & gentle. Shock is what causes you problems

Wise words. It's (normally) all doable, just halve your weights/rigging.

Also remember it's all species dependent, dead oak is very different to dead pop.

Edited by Le Sanglier

Have a good look at the tree before and as you climb. Its definitely a personal thing and depends on the tree. I am more concerned with the bits I can't see failing (root collar etc) when climbing dead trees than anything I can see.

Here is some encouragement