mucculloch

scott123

Know what you mean,when i was growing up lots of blokes in my village had chainsaws,danarm,mc co,s,partner and no one used earmuffs,helmets,any kind of protection whatsoever,the saws didnt have chain breaks and i cant remember 1 accident.

I got offered an old Danarm by the farmer I used to work for when I first started, said to me one day theres an old saw over there behind those hurdles if you want it, leant over to pick it up and nearly went head first over the hurdles due to the weight :laugh1: another farmer oncew offerd me and a mate a saw when we were at his place foxing, he dragged a big wooden case out of the shed, dont know what make it was but pretty sure it was a villiers or similar 4 stroke engine and you pulled a lever to turn the bar over so the engine stayed upright, was a two man job one each end, we passed on it needless to say :laugh1:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got offered an old Danarm by the farmer I used to work for when I first started, said to me one day theres an old saw over there behind those hurdles if you want it, leant over to pick it up and nearly went head first over the hurdles due to the weight :laugh1: another farmer oncew offerd me and a mate a saw when we were at his place foxing, he dragged a big wooden case out of the shed, dont know what make it was but pretty sure it was a villiers or similar 4 stroke engine and you pulled a lever to turn the bar over so the engine stayed upright, was a two man job one each end, we passed on it needless to say :laugh1:

that will have been a danarm with the villers engine on it!!

it was a 2 man affair with a small guard & handle on the other end of the bar!

i bought one a couple of years ago

it is classed as a 2 man felling saw or a planking saw

& runs half inch chipper chain!

its a beast when running i only used mine once!!

was a heavy piece of kit & nobody wanted to hold the sharp end of the saw!!!! not even me!!!!

Neither can I. Started at 16 got given a big old partner and told to start sending mill lumber and to do it right or else ! Learned from working with a 70 year old who didn't wear any kind of ppe and smoked a pipe continually. Happy days

I've had the 090 out today, on the big bar (just about to stick up a picture on the milling a big oak thread).

I've never smoked, but for some reason I always feel that a pipe would be a key fashion accessory when I'm running it!

Alec

I've got one of the Teles equivalents of these I'm gradually putting back together. It now runs, but it needs 3/4" pitch chain and I can't find a source.

When I get some, I'll give it a go, but I'll have to convince someone to take the other end of it which could be a bit challenging.

Alec

i started using chainsaws in the mid 1990`s & i learnt using a mc culloch saw

it was an old metal case affair then i moved onto a mc culloch californian pro saw which was a nice bit of kit!

they did the job! & did it well!!!

i then moved on to stihl as i was told they were the mutts nuts but quickly regreated selling the old mc cullochs!

i quickly bought a husky & have never looked back!!!

that will have been a danarm with the villers engine on it!!

it was a 2 man affair with a small guard & handle on the other end of the bar!

i bought one a couple of years ago

it is classed as a 2 man felling saw or a planking saw

& runs half inch chipper chain!

its a beast when running i only used mine once!!

was a heavy piece of kit & nobody wanted to hold the sharp end of the saw!!!! not even me!!!!

Have you still got it? I think treequip on here has one too. How things have changed

image.jpg.db64e41da9aa15cae676aea9fe39432d.jpg

That'll be the one then think it was army surplus looked brand new and he wanted £25 for it was a good few years back mind, almost bought it just for curiosity value

i would have had to have bought it i paid 40 for mine just for the fun of trying to use it!!!!

I've got a McCulloch I-51 sitting on my bench partially stripped down. When I got it, it was held together with a motley collection of nuts and bolts which I need to source. It feels like a solid old thing and I'm looking forward to getting it running some day. The more recent plastic McCullochs are saws to use and then throw when they break. If you have been given it for free, happy days. :001_smile: