Biggest bit of ivy I've seen.

Woodreeve

Was clearing up a field maple that came down in winds for a client today. I knew it was smothered with ivy (groan) but what I didn't know that the ivy must have been holding the blooming thing up. Anyway, finally got down to the butt and it looked like an anaconda wrapped around the stem! Measured in at 9 and a half inches at its thickest. Not saying its a record breaker but its the biggest I've seen.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1364063932.104811.jpg.bf90e64c422eaf5df845f2904ef75b4d.jpg

My Doberman for scale ;-) Well, she thinks she is anyway. And she's just as scary if you're a squirrel.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Few years back I ended up with the job of tidying up the gardens on a big old georgian house, gardens ran to about 4 acres, was the clients father who lived there with his house keeper, he was in his late eighties and the gardens had'nt been touched in years apart from mowing the lawns, there was some ivy on one of the out buildings growing up the roof that they wanted cleared, that had about 6 inch trunk, unfortunately once I cut through it realised the ivy was holding the roof in place! that called for some very hasty emergency propping against the wall plate and had to leave the rest of the ivy in place :001_cool: