need a Wii bit of advice

teepeeat

The children (and missus) keep dropping hints about getting a Wii.

With birthdays imminent, have been looking into it and am a bit confused about what I would need to buy.

Basic packages on offer seem simple enough, but have been told that a lot of games require more controllers (?). Thinking here about the hand held input thingy-me-bobs rather than game specific accessories.

What would everybody recommend starting off with as dont want to get everybody excitedly setting it all up only to realise we dont have certain necesary bits of kit.

We are not chasing the latest greatest kit, just something to have a bit of fun with and obviously at a reasonable cost.

Advice gratefully recieved by a confused non-gamer

Terry

Hi Terry

Me and the wife just bought ourselves a Wii having not played on a games machine since the old Nintendo 64. It is worth getting a second controller for dual play games like Mariocart. The package we got also had a steering wheel and a nunchuck? The steering wheel is a waste of time but the nunchuck gets used. I looked to to buy a package with the games we wanted but it was cheaper to get the Wii with controllers and buy the games separately. To be honest after a month or so we have lost interest so don't spend to much unless you know they are going to love it.

Not sure about the new one with the fancy controller (wii u????) but on our old one we have 2 controllers. 2 steering wheels for mariokart (best game on there in my humble!), 2 nun chucks for wii sports and some of the more traditional console type games, like the fighting ones, some cheap 99p shop golf clubs and tennis rackets (rarely used but quite fun) and a balance board for the snowboard games, wii fit and some of the wii play activities (also rarely used). The only thing which we're missing are the motion plus adapters.

To be honest it gets very little use, novelty worn off now.....

Yep I agree with the masses. I got the other half a wii a year ago. It has sat in the cupboard since last summer. And I got a lot of controllers and games for it. Got most of the stuff from ebay. Cheap and cheerful. IMO the graphics are not good (remind me of the n64) and the novelty of how it works wears thin, plus the games are not that good at all.

We know use the ps3 with the move system as its much better and you can play a lot more games.

Try and persuade against the wii and go for something else. For the money and graphics I would go for either Xbox or ps3.

the next gen xbox and playstation are due out soon

I've been looking at the new ps4 and I'm on the side of caution, after the Xbox fiasco and the problems they had with the ps3 I'm going to wait a year and see if any bugs come out with it.