Floating shelf bracket/ideas?

Monikieman

Hi folks.

Will be is possession of some nice waney edge oak soon which will be used for 2 shelves 36" long by 8" to 10" deep and maybe about 2" thick.

Was looking at these shelf brackets and wondered if anyone had experience of them.

Floating Shelf Brackets Straight type

Trying to keep to the floating shelf idea to show off the wood.

Any other ideas if the above wont work.

Many thanks.

The brackets look like quite a good idea. When I have done this sort of thing in the past I drilled holes into the wall and fixed in some 12mm steel stud bar with injection resin. Then just drill corresponding holes into the edge of the board and slide shelf on.

cant see any method there which will prevent the wood from coming away from the wall. There would have to be a method of stopping this happening. I have seen something like this once and it was at the Famous Grouse visitor centre near Crieff a couple of years ago when I got the job to make all the new furniture for the marrying and blending room. They had a 8' long heavy shelf floating and it took me a wee while to work out how it was attached. Basically there was a long piece of flat bar which fitted into a groove in the back of the plank. This flat bar was screwed into the wall with the steel spigots sticking out and the plank had corresponding holes drilled into the edge. The plank was slid onto the spigots and butted up against the wall. From the underneath there was an allan bolt screwed through the wood and into the spigot after a hole was drilled and tapped in it. This stopped the plank being pulled of the wall.

The shelf was so secure you could actually stand on it and it didn't move. Due to the fact the public were coming into the room it had to be over engineered to make it idiot proof but it did work. Whilst this might be overkill for what you require even a couple of spigots would do you. It does require accurate marking out and drilling whichever method you use though.

Cheers folks.

Mike the 'accurate marking out and drilling' could be my downfall.

Rustic is more in keeping with my joinery. Might have to take my time!!

Had thought about the wall bar with welded studs going into the shelf.

Might try a bit silicone in the holes to stop it moving.

The beauty of the method I described is that it is easier to weld some spigots to a flat bar more accurately than to drill about 4 holes into a wall at 90 degrees in both planes.

If you want to get some flat bar and spigots welded up you can bring them down to me in Glenrothes sometime and I will drill the wood accurately for you.

Mike

The brackets look like quite a good idea. When I have done this sort of thing in the past I drilled holes into the wall and fixed in some 12mm steel stud bar with injection resin. Then just drill corresponding holes into the edge of the board and slide shelf on.

Second that, 12mm stud ,13mm holes in wood, 16mm wall plugs in masonry, plenty of gripfill or resin in holes in shelf before sliding it on, simples

exactly that resin adhesive stuff is cheap at screwfix