EU new low, theft, plain and simple.

skyhuck

Just heard about this story on FOX News. I am astonished that this is happening for the greater good of propping up another member of the EU. It is bad enough that the Communist and chief of this country continues to dilute the US Dollar for the sake of bankrupting this economy and others but to seize the funds from depositors from your citizens accounts is about as low as it gets. I wonder how much more will be required for the citizens of the UK to finally come to the conclusion that the EU is not for them?

Are the UK troops stationed in Cypress ATM part of the UN or another deployment?

easy-lift guy

In 1960, Britain allowed Cyprus to become an independent state, with the stipulation that Britain is allowed to keep military forces on two parts of the island. This maintained a British presence in the eastern Med. This could prove to be of strategic importance, just as Malta was in the med, during ww2. Think thats roughly right, but stand to be corrected

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much right dave but they pull a double duty and do a bit on the green line between greek and turkish cyprus with the UN.

Until I visited Crete, I didn't realise just how much the Greeks hate the Turks. Is it just because of Cyprus, or are they other issues?

“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”

― Mikhail Gorbachev

Until I visited Crete, I didn't realise just how much the Greeks hate the Turks. Is it just because of Cyprus, or are they other issues?

It's ancient between the Greeks and the Turks. Istanbul was formerly called Constantinople which was the capital of the Byzantine empire. The main religion here was Greek Orthodox. Constantinople fell to the Muslim Turks in 1453 which was the end of the Byzantines. Greece was controlled by the ottoman Turks until the Greek war of independence in the 1820's. After ww1 Greece invaded turkey to try claim back what they seen as their ancient lands and were defeated. So a lot if history between them!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I believe it's not just foreign nationals but citizens as well. Anyone with savings in Cypriot banks.... :001_huh:

You are correct Simon. Last I heard the vote on this matter has been postpone. The President of Cypress is all in favor of this move,however it is reported that the Finance Minister is not:thumbdown:. Have also heard that Italy is talking about something along these lines as well:sneaky2:

easy-lift guy