My v6 chainsaw thread thingy.

Rich2484

Is it going to be mounted or lifted by 2 guys?

The v8 one on youtube is insane

Lifted. Hence the need for light engine. And if spud could use some weights before a boys day out he can help lift it :lol::lol:

Once I source and engine the rest is easy. As I will know what my options are for it.

Using a harvester head! Do they attach the head straight to the engine or not? I've done a search on google but nothing that really runs through how its all bolted together.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using a harvester head! Do they attach the head straight to the engine or not? I've done a search on google but nothing that really runs through how its all bolted together.

Bolts to the frame that holds the engine.

Fair060006.jpg

Not even sure where to search for a harvester head In the uk....

Its not a harvester head you need, a harvester head is the thing with the de branching knives, rollers, cut of saw etc, even the lightest one is more than two men can heft.

What you need is a harvester BAR, and a chain and sprocket. It will also be within budget, buying a servicable head will break you

Like some of the others have said, fuel injected bike engine would be where I'd be looking. Plenty of multi cylinder engines about and 100hp shouldn't be too hard to find.

Choice of gears, or, whip out all the gears you don't need to make it lighter.

Only thing to get round would be that the sprocket would be effectively going backwards unless you brought the countershaft out bit and had the bar pointing towards the front of the engine.

Just done some searches on the bay for bars, there are some on the uk. Unless chainsaw bars has any?

The chains are cheaper than the postage from USA so will need to source a couple of them in the uk. But depends on the bar.

The sprocket I have found one on ebay and that's a lot of money there.

You asked for thoughts.

Firstly, how long do you want it to run for at a time? This determines what you do about cooling. I reckon if it's start, cut, stop you could use a water cooled engine and cut off all the water cooling parts to keep weight down. Even if it's an air cooled engine you could probably cut all the fins off for short bursts.

It's got to be an ali block. I'm presuming a 2-man lift? That seriously limits your options.

What is the Mazda Wankel engine made of? It's not a V6, but they do have exceptional power to weight.

Harvester bars are fairly easily available. You want the 3/4" pitch on the 0.120" bar as otherwise it will snap it off.

Slightly random I know!

Alec

edit: yes there are definitely some bar suppliers in the UK. I need some 3/4" x 0.080" chain and went looking to see if harvester chain fitted. Unfortunately it doesn't but I found no problem getting standard harvester bars and chains. If you can't find the sources let me know and I'll keep looking.

Alec

Edited by agg221

Ok. I know nothing of harvester bars or sprockets so if someone could point me int he right direction I will be more than gratefull.

I was looking at air cooled as a few cuts now and again. It won't be running all day. (Basically I'm building a toy here. :lol:)