My v6 chainsaw thread thingy.

Rich2484

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the Buick 215ci aluminum block v8 that the Predator and many other unlimited hotsaws are built on are putting out around 300hp.

Bike saws are another class with a 250cc limit. Most are built on Yamaha 2 stroke YZ or Suzuki 2 stroke RM motors.

All are water cooled thru coolant filled jackets, no pumps or radiators.

Edited by Reddog

Wow. Just got back from a show tonight. And this talk over bike engines seems to be the way forward. For a first try I don't mind not using a v engine.

I just want to kick spuds bum at getting through a log :lol:

It's really interesting me now. And o my time is very precious I'm afraid spud. But it will be a nice little project for those wet and miserable days. Or when I have a spare hour when the bench is empty.

Starting to think I really need to look for an engine. Once I have that I will be away with it.

Any two stroke motorcross engine with a powervalve and 20+HP on tap - will have more than double the power of the largest commercial chainsaw:thumbup:

You could use the old school Honda red rocket 250cc air cooled - fast bikes!

maico 490 :thumbup::thumbup:

I used to have a vfr400 sweet engine. It may be worth trying to find s cr500 unit, light, powerful, easy to fix (important iirc)::D

Sent from my GT-S5690 using Tapatalk 2

maico 490 :thumbup::thumbup:

Either would be ace but both would be fairly dear as they are desirable engine.

If going 2 stroke, I'd be thinking a 250 crosser engine from a cost point of view - theres' probably as many 250's out there as 125's and 500's put together.

Water cooled 250 2 smoker should be high 40's hp and shouldn't take much to get a bit more out of it.

Aircooled MX engines are going to make strong money now too as twinshock racing seems to be the big thing.

Wow. Just got back from a show tonight. And this talk over bike engines seems to be the way forward. For a first try I don't mind not using a v engine.

I just want to kick spuds bum at getting through a log :lol:

It's really interesting me now. And o my time is very precious I'm afraid spud. But it will be a nice little project for those wet and miserable days. Or when I have a spare hour when the bench is empty.

Starting to think I really need to look for an engine. Once I have that I will be away with it.

I fogot to menton, we run a "Le Mans" start so have to run 300 yards with the saw before doing the cut......not a problem is it:001_tt2::lol:

I fogot to menton, we run a "Le Mans" start so have to run 300 yards with the saw before doing the cut......not a problem is it:001_tt2::lol:

OK then Spud, to make things fair I can lend you one of mine.

Your choice - stock 090 with 84" bar, or 2-man Teles with 60" bar?

Alec