chain saw course info

the best thing you can do to prepare is download the assessment schedule from NPTC website and learn it and get someone to test you on all the criteria and turn up with an open mind to the course and try to relax and enjoy the course and try not to get worked up about the assessment

i found it quite easy but having experiance before hand helped greatly i think. think it made the instructors job a bit easier aswell.....he could just concentrate on the other three who had no experiance wot so ever. you have to make sure that you revise and then revise some more,they wont give you the answer but if they can see your on the right track they will lead you a bit.

oh yeah and be sure of the simple things-guy failed because he had the chain on the wrong way round....examiner gave him three chances to diagnose the problem then failed him

thumb round the front handle at all times

head out of line with the saw

never straddle the trunk when sneading

never walk with the chainbrake off

take a hand off and the chainbrake goes on

visor down when cutting

only cut with the top of the chain using an upward motion when sneading the left hand side of the trunk.

hope some of that helps:001_smile:

• 8 months later...
the best thing you can do to prepare is download the assessment schedule from NPTC website and learn it and get someone to test you on all the criteria and turn up with an open mind to the course and try to relax and enjoy the course and try not to get worked up about the assessment

I have found this very good link I will be looking to do my cs30 soon I have been a groundy for 3/4 years have downloaded the cs30 assessment schedule and I think the boss will be happy that i am pushing to get it done.

thank you usefull link the usefull link will defo be going back when I do other assessments.

:thumbup1::thumbup1:

• 1 month later...

I'm doing this course too in march, but only the 3 day felling as i've already done a lantra course in maintenance and crosscutting and i pretty confident on the CS30 part. But i've heard rumours that for the CS31 part you learn the 'split level', 'danish pie' and 'boring' cuts. If so could someone explain a little, what there for etc.

Also anyone Done courses at Hartpury in gloucester?

I'm doing this course too in march, but only the 3 day felling as i've already done a lantra course in maintenance and crosscutting and i pretty confident on the CS30 part. But i've heard rumours that for the CS31 part you learn the 'split level', 'danish pie' and 'boring' cuts. If so could someone explain a little, what there for etc.

Also anyone Done courses at Hartpury in gloucester?

You need to do a straight fell, and either a split level cut on a tree which is sitting against the direction you want to drop it or a dog-tooth cut on a tree with a heavy lean in the direction you want to fell. You also need to do a hung-up tree to demonstrate the letterbox cut or 80/20(right ratio?). I think there is some winching now too?

Edited by felixthelogchopper
Past my bedtime

worst part i found was the maintence assesment for cs 30 - examiner was real fussy on chain, measured every single tooth for exact size and angle, i had to re do in assesement cause he found 1 tooth to be a different length, took over an hr to get perfect!

Oh and chucking on a new chain doesnt work, when measured the teeth length isnt perfectly the same so you have to sharpen/measure anyway.

got some god awful trees on cs 31 assesement which had decay in them and entirely no room to drop into, but since instructor had been fussy on training part it wasnt too bad really.

Definetly go slow, think before every move.

lol now if i can only pass my cs 32 when i do it in jan!!!!!

worst part i found was the maintence assesment for cs 30 - examiner was real fussy on chain, measured every single tooth for exact size and angle, i had to re do in assesement cause he found 1 tooth to be a different length, took over an hr to get perfect!

Oh and chucking on a new chain doesnt work, when measured the teeth length isnt perfectly the same so you have to sharpen/measure anyway.

Sounds like your examiner was just being an arse :thumbdown:

just praying i dont get same for cs 32 or i am soooo failed!

could use somewhere with like a hundred trees to fell all using the boring in from both sides/holding cut at rear (without having to sned/crosscut/stack/tidy brash cause i am too unfit) just to get the cuts to line up piss perfect from either side, best i can do is about a 2-10mm difference in level and thats not good enough, mind u i have only felled 4 trees in prep for exam so that dont help.

could use somewhere with like a hundred trees to fell all using the boring in from both sides/holding cut at rear .

Fell a tree off and leave a high stump and just keep practising taking off an inch or so at a time.

also, spend a bit of time getting your gob level and then you've got something to use as a guide when boring from each side :thumbup: