When can I start??

Orchard gm

Hi everyone,

I have completed my cs30 and 31 and have my 38 and 39 booked for April. Once I get these tickets can I begin advertising for tree work I.e climbing and dismantling or are there any other courses I should do first?

Thanks for reading.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends really. Do you know anything about trees or will you just have certificates of competency in operating equipment...?

Experience counts for more than tickets when it comes to doing things by yourself.

You could apply for jobs as a 2nd climber, that would allow you to learn about the reasons for doing what you do from others.

Alternatively you could just hunt around for straightforward dismantles of small stable trees and learn from there.... That's mostly all I do....

What you won't be, although this is just my opinion, is a 'qualified tree surgeon' - and I say that as someone who is not one either! :001_smile:

10 out of 10 for enthusiasm but as the others say you need to get experience first and think of which direction you want to take, i.e. groundy or climber. Then go away and get a couple of years experience and learn about tres and the different types of trees. Passing the said tickets is just the 1st step on the learning ladder.

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

You can begin whenever you want. You dont need any CS units to work for yourself, advertise as whatever you like, its only tree work there is no law as to what you can and cant do.

CS units are certificates of safty they show employers (not clients) that you have been shown the basic safety methods for each unit. A bit like a driving license shows you know the basic rules of the road.

They are not qualifiacations in tree work. Advertise away and see how you get on.

You can begin whenever you want. You dont need any CS units to work for yourself, advertise as whatever you like, its only tree work there is no law as to what you can and cant do.

CS units are certificates of safty they show employers (not clients) that you have been shown the basic safety methods for each unit. A bit like a driving license shows you know the basic rules of the road.

They are not qualifiacations in tree work. Advertise away and see how you get on.

I always thought u needed cs 30 31 to use chainsaw comercially...?

Why? Whos going to stop you? You can make a living using a chainsaw if you want, its a free country just about. CS is not in any way a license.

Employment law is another thing though, so you would need CS units to be employed, but even then no one is going to stop you if you dont have them. Work away, just dont have an accident.

Cs arent the law

however there are plenty of laws and regulations

HSW 74 act covers lots as does Puwer 1998 regs Loler reg 98 etc

this isnt a direct quote but its along the lines of : work is an act

'that' which a prudent person may reasonably expect to pay / be paid monies for providing / carrying out 'that ' service.

In puwer reg 9

All people using equipment at work must be adequately trained to ensure health and safety in its use, supervision or management. Some work activities require detailed formal training but, for most everyday activities involving work equipment, adequate training can be delivered in-house using the manufacturer's instructions and the background knowledge / skills of more experienced workers and managers.

Chainsaw operators:

'All workers who use a chainsaw should be competent to do so. Before using a chainsaw to carry out work on or in a tree, a worker should have received appropriate training and obtained a relevant certificate of competence or national competence award, unless they are undergoing such training and are adequately supervised. However, in the agricultural sector, this requirement only applies to first-time users of a chainsaw.'

People should be competent for the work they undertake. Training – along with knowledge, experience and skill – helps develop such competence. However, competence may (in some cases) necessarily include medical fitness and physical / mental aptitude for the activity.

Training and competence - Work equipment and machinery

+ then if you dont have the quals , can you ge the insurance >#

and if not is it not illegal to trade as a self employed person sole trader if you can not provide public liability cover

+ tree work if doing as a start up you cant do it on your own so will need employers liab, which could well be invalid as if an accident is caused in the work place by the policy holder and they arent qual'd then thats a nightmare waiting to drop on your head

+ if acting as subbie then need prof indem and public liab & the employer would need to follow puwer reg 9 and as not to invalidate their on Emp liab they need the subbie to have satified reg 9 puwer

Edited by Yorkshireman

There are a lot of "shoulds" in there, that means nothing.

Then in your second section you refer to employers needing various things, thats under employment law and granted that is an actual law.

But to go and work for a client you dont have to have anything, and you dont have to have public liability, and you can work on your own if you want so you dont need employers liability either.

I suppose all these laws are the reason that ****** get stopped everyday for doing tree work???????????? Never seen it happen.

Trading standards may have somethign to say about it, but only if complaints are made and same with HSE.