When can I start??

Orchard gm

Yes mate you can advertise your services any time you like.

However, as others have already mentioned getting some experience under your belt should be the next logical step!

I passed CS30,31,38,39 all in the same month, but it was probably 3-4 yrs before I could competently and confidently tackle most tree climbing scenarios. The courses are really only designed to teach you the basics and test your competency at learning the basics.

Likewise, as advised if you're determined to go it alone you are recommened to ensure that you have public liability insurance for yourself and employers liability insurance to cover you if you bring someone to help you, even on a casual basis.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

some saying you don't even need tickets.

In truth you don't need anything even PPE. Just a chainsaw. There you go, you're a tree surgeon. In reality there's more to it than that. If you want customers to believe you. If you want to think you can have an accident and not have to 'leg it'. If you want to have a serious discussion with a tree officer..... get some experience/ other qualifications.

some saying you don't even need tickets.

In truth you don't need anything even PPE. Just a chainsaw. There you go, you're a tree surgeon. In reality there's more to it than that. If you want customers to believe you. If you want to think you can have an accident and not have to 'leg it'. If you want to have a serious discussion with a tree officer..... get some experience/ other qualifications.

Thats about the truth of it.

You dont need anything, but start advertising when you only have CS30/31 and you will get no where.

Getting customers to believe in you and give you the work in the first place is where you will come unstuck.

Thats about the truth of it.

You dont need anything, but start advertising when you only have CS30/31 and you will get no where.

Getting customers to believe in you and give you the work in the first place is where you will come unstuck.

Tragically (for nice trees anyway) there are plenty of people out there who will employ someone who doesn't know what they're doing or have the quals / insurance, that's how the NFA's make a living.....

Anyone can call themselves a 'tree surgeon' but the proof is in the pudding.

To actually be one you need more than just nptc quals, they're expensive but pretty worthless when it comes to making decisions about tree health. A driving license doesn't make you Hamilton or Button......

The thing with health and safety and with public liability also is a key phrase.

"All that is reasonably practicable"

It is reasonably practicable to expect you to have what they deem as proof that you are competent to do the task at hand. You might be able to do the job but should anything go wrong then you need your arse covered. If you don't have the experience even with the certs you might be deemed to not be up to it.

All depends what you want to do. Small little domestic jobs or bigger?

Thanks for your advice everyone, I'll go into detail a bit more, I am a gardener and wanting to progress further into tree surgery. I often help a climber on the ground and he has encouraged me to get a start with the tree side of things so we can get an insurance policy together.

I am fairly competent with identifying trees etc and I know I can handle a saw safely, but I do want to advertise to do tree work so my climber friend can be groundie for me!

I live for being outside, I love tree work, but I totally respect that it takes years and years of experience to know the trade, and to me it looks like one of them trades that you never stop learning about?

What I mean when I say "when can I start" is what other courses should I do aswell as the ones I mentioned? Would it be beneficial to do all the wind blown trees, sectional felling courses etc or would I pick that up from my experienced climber friend.

Thanks for your advice again I really appreciate your time.

Don't spend more than necessary on nptc's. After all the discussion in your absence it's clear you know what you're doing, if you know trees and want to climb, do your 38 & 39 and get start to get into it. I did lots of ground based CS units but actually, 30 & 31 are the only ones you really need to get going, everything else comes with experience and working with others.

Have you done any horticulture courses? I personally feel that a formal arboricultural qualification is a must if you want to cut out 20 years of shadowing and start off being a tree surgeon. I have a limited knowledge of he biology of trees and this limits what I'm able to do. As it's a hobby this is less of a problem, but if you're advertising your service then I personally feel that formal qualifications are important. When I look for tree surgeons to work for me I want them to know what they're looking at and I respect them as a professional.

To get your PLI & Eli you usually just need 38 & 39 (if you think you'll ever want to claim anyway, many insurers will give anyone a policy and look more closely at you when the time does to pay out!) so to be 'legit' that's all you need really....

The thing with health and safety and with public liability also is a key phrase.

"All that is reasonably practicable"

It is reasonably practicable to expect you to have what they deem as proof that you are competent to do the task at hand. You might be able to do the job but should anything go wrong then you need your arse covered. If you don't have the experience even with the certs you might be deemed to not be up to it.

All depends what you want to do. Small little domestic jobs or bigger?

Who's "they"?